New European field guide

caleb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Caleb Leeke
As no-one else has mentioned it...

The new edition of Arnold and Burton's field guide to the European reptiles and amphibians was published a couple of weeks ago.

It's 'Reptiles and Amphibians of Britain and Europe' by Nick Arnold, ISBN 0-00-219964-5.

If you're familiar with the older edition, the main changes are:

-the range has been extended slightly- the Canary islands are included, as are the Greek islands off the west coast of Turkey.

-there are lots more species- this is mainly because many subspecies have been raised to full species level since the last edition. Urodele examples are: Triturus carnifex, karelinii, dobrogicus, and pygmaeus; Salamandra corsica and lanzai. The Hydromantes genus is now Speleomantes.

-the distribution maps are a lot more detailed.

It is a field guide covering a lot of species, so there's not a great deal of detail on each species. It's certainly sufficient to identify animals you see in the wild- you'd probably want more detailed information if you wanted to go out in search of a particular species.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back