New FBN eggs/tadpoles

Larry85

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I haven't posted in a while since my Firebelly newts have been doing well. 2 weeks ago I moved my 3 newts from a 65l tank to a new 160l tank and just as the old tank was almost empty I noticed something move at the bottom of the tank! That's right a little tadpole/larvae! After some hunting I found 8 in total, I put 3 in individual small food tubs and 5 in a small fish tank with a few cms of water, pebbles and some pond weed.

My question is around feeding, I've read they only eat live food such as Daphnia but I've searched everywhere and can only find frozen Daphnia. I've tried some live brineshimp and frozen cyclops but I don't think they're eating it... Is it a lost cause?

I've also noticed that since I've moved to the bigger tank there are more eggs ready to hatch on a plastic plant, at least 10 with larvae and a few brand new ones. Should I leave these alone?

Thanks in advance!
L

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 1,395
Here are some of the ready to hatch eggs

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 288
I just leave all the eggs and larvae in the tank with the adults, where theres plenty of micro-invertebrates for them to feed on. The adults eat the eggs, but I don't mind, I'm not too thrilled about having larvae of this specie, and the adults don't touch the larvae at all. But they won't touch dead food for a while, if they even decide to, they'll associate movement with food, but they don't really snap at each other at all. They are also unlikely to eat for a few days after hatching, also when I took them out of the parent tank, I couldn't get them to eat anything at all, which is why I stopped removing them entirely.

It's very possible that the larvae still have yolk sacs so they won't need to eat for a few days, if they've just hatched. I've had good results with baby brine shrimp, just rinse with freshwater and feed. If the larvae are feeding, they'll "hop" around and their bellies will be full of orange color.

Thanks both! I'll see how they get along

Fingers crossed x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back