Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New floating dock

lotty

Reaction score
I bought a floating dock today with an eco terra hollow rock hide the rock hide is massive but the floating dock is big and quite good. I had to arrange the tank out to fit it in. A lot better than the one I made. Lol.

Attachments

• IMG_1847.jpg
    IMG_1847.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 646
  • IMG_1846.jpg
    IMG_1846.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 344

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I also use plastic (turtle) docks in my aquatic set ups rather than the usual floating cork bark. Their profile above the water line is much lower than the cork so I can fill the tanks almost to the top and take advantage of the full volume while still having enough room above the surface for the newts to emerge if they want.
I normally grow some terrestrial moss up there to make them look more natural and once it gets hold it looks quite nice.
What species do you keep in there?

lotty

Reaction score
There are two aquatic chinese firebelly newts and the eater of the two I got from you. The JFB comes out for a swim and climbs on all the plants. I will be putting the non eater in when it starts to eat too. I have two types of terrestrial moss on the dock. As the smaller one starts to swim more and goes aquatic, I will be putting more water in. I think I will finally have the dock about 3 inches below the top of the tank so there will be a lot of swimming room for them. Then see about getting a larger tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!