Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New member from Washington state

Babbleduck

Reaction score
Hello everyone:

Thank you for the opportunity to join your group. I’ve joined on behalf of my 10-year-old daughter and me. Together, we are starting up our first Caudata tank. It’s a 10 gallon, aquatic set up. I’ve appreciated the articles about preventing escape and keeping Caudatas cool. My research suggests that three species could be a good start for someone who is new to the hobby and has a mostly aquatic tank. I also believe these three are legal in WA state. They include: C. Cyanurus (blue tailed fire belly newt), C. Ensicauda (Sword tail newt) and C. Pyrrhogaster (Japanese Fire Belly Newt).

It doesn’t seem like local pet stores sell newts anymore. If you feel so inclined, I’d appreciate input on local breeders (if any) or non-local breeders with good reputations. Also, suggestions about other species are welcome. Our preference would be to get two newts, so they’d need to be small-to-medium for our 10-gallon tank. Also, I have an air-conditioned home, but would like to play it safe with newts who can tolerate the mid-70s comfortably. Thanks again for the opportunity to join this respected group!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1