New morphs-now what?

P

paris

my first one morphed today-these are S.s.salamandra (hows that for a boat name??)it still had a hint of caudal fin but the gills were just stubbs and the head had definately changed. are these hard to maintain? are they suseptible to the 'i just morphed and now im going to keel over' syndrome or are they hearty morphs? what to feed them and how agressive/good are they at finding their own food? (do i have to hand feed?)
any hints or tips apreciated....now i have to go back to studying for todays genetics test...
errr.gif

No Paris, they're as tough as old boats.
lol.gif

I find it simpler to keep them in ice-cream containers, on a damp kitchen towel substrate, with a cork bark hide, and offer small crickets and chopped earthworms.

well a few have left water but i have lost a few too-they seem to have drowned-some didnt look advanced enough that i would put them in really really shallow water. i have lost 4, some in as little as 1/2 inch water-and still with gills. they continued to move a bit when i removed them from water but then died afterwards-even when i removed them from water to help them purge the over dose from their system.what is a good way to wean them from aquatic set ups to morph??? i have them in the 1/2 inch water in smaller containers and loaded with java moss so they can come out easily.....what do i do?

Remove the java moss, and wedge the containers at an angle so that when they are ready to morph, they can move to the completely dry area at one end.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back