Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Purple PVC Pipe Hide :)

iSuzie

Reaction score
So a few weeks a ago I made some PVC pipe into a cave/hide and covered it with sand for my axolotls it was a great hit they loved them. The sand I had at the time was just sand coloured so when I changed my sand in my main tank to purple sand I decided to make some purples one's. They turned out grate and are now set up behind plants are cant even be seen but can be found and used as great hides!
I Used PVC pipe and aquarium safe silicon to make them was pretty simple and they are a great hit with all my axolotls i currently have them in every tank! And they look great!
They took roughly 40 mins to make them and then you have to let them sit for 7 days before they can be put into any tank. I made my purple ones last week {9days ago} and have soaked them all day in warm water just to make sure the sand on them is okay, and now have set them up.
I wanted to show everyone a picture of them and let everyone know how great they are and how good they look and are loved by axolotls!

So here they are!

Attachments

• P210911_2259.jpg
    P210911_2259.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 932
  • P210911_2259[02].jpg
    P210911_2259[02].jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 2,869
  • P210911_2300.jpg
    P210911_2300.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1,511

iSuzie

Reaction score
Lol yeah thats the silicon I used! and yep I got it from bunnings :D

Thank everyone. My axies are loving it xD

sammie68

Reaction score
They look awesome Suzi, I'm gonna copy that lol I also like the tattoo on your wrist but I better not copy that (I work in a primary school so I have to make sure mine can't be seen lol)

iSuzie

Reaction score
lol Thanks, I have a R for Ryan my son and a M on the other wrist for Maddison <3

nina89

Reaction score
I love love love the idea,;) great thinking. I am planning a new set up with pvc pipes and I think I might use your idea too. I was wondering if you got the PVC piping from bunnings I seen it there and was going to buy it but wanted to check if anyone else has used it and if you need to treat it at all.

iSuzie

Reaction score
All I done was rinse mine in hot water and yes I got it from bunnings.
By all means do what i done, its very simple and very cheap way to make something great for your axolotls. I wanted to use PVC pipes but i hated the idea of the not so attractiveness of them.. so I just simply covered them in coloured sand :D

ZoeT94

Reaction score
:wacko:I might do this to a plastic plant pot that my axies love to hide under...

iSuzie

Reaction score
As long as they are willing to live without it for 7 days! lol Maybe get a second one to make instead because you have to leave them for 7 days to set lol :D
I leave mine even longer then soak them in hot to warm water for a day.

ZoeT94

Reaction score
lol. I have another hidey they like... or I could just buy another plant pot... ;)

madink

Reaction score
I LOVE these hides & the colour looks amazing !!! I really want to make one now - where do u get aquarium silicone from?

LOL - sorry got excited & didn't read the rest of the posts ! I'm of 2 Bunnings now ... Thanx 4 the great tips & shopping list

Last edited:

dad of axle

Reaction score
Hi Suzie these hides look great, what dimensions did you make them,
i have one that is a fake log that my axie really likes but he is bigger than it now and sticks out at both ends when he goes in there.
(my Juvenile is now 17 cm long) I want to make a hide (not purple though) that will last and he uses more than the terracotta pots, which seem a bit open .

iSuzie

Reaction score
Its about 22cm long and I think it was 90mm round.. But that's just from memory. When you buy the pvc pipe just make sure you think your axie will fit in there lol.. I made sure mien would fit 2 in there together as i know mine love to cuddle up to each other. :D

dad of axle

Reaction score
Thanks isuzie, after the heat wave is over i will head to bunnings, I think i will finally buy that sand i have wanted for him/her too. I Think my axie would like a buddy because it chases it's reflection in the glass and seems to play with it.

So I will do as you have done and make sure it fits two axolotls when i make my hides.

Lincolnsmommy

Reaction score
That looks great. Brilliant idea. Where do you get coloured sand from? Is it in any pet shop? Thanks

iSuzie

Reaction score
I got my sand from bunnings, but im sure you could get it at a pet shop, or have it ordered in. Have a look online for it too if u cant find any :) And your welcome everyone :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1