New Salamander owner questions -hibernation-

Animunculus

Reaction score
Country
United States
First off, Hello, I'm a new and proud salamander owner. I recently bought 3 from a breeder. A marbled, Russian fire, and barred tiger. I do have them all living together in a 55 gallon vivarium I made. I can included a picture with this post. My actual question is, I know that these salamanders hibernate, I was wondering if it is currently time for them to do so. I got them last week. They were active for about two days, I fed them meal worms and now they've all found a spot in 3 different caves and have not moved since and will not eat. Are they hibernating right now? If so do I have to do anything? Buy them a heat lamp? Keep misting them? Do I still feed them?

Attachments

• IMG_20141030_231014249.jpg
    IMG_20141030_231014249.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 346
I don't think they would hibernate unless kept at temperatures equivalent to what it is outside, but maybe someone else could help out.
Also, mixing of species is not recommended and each should have their own enclosure, I don't know what "breeder" you bought them from, but any who recommends or is perfectly okay with mixing species, I personally wouldn't trust them, and I personally have never seen CB Ambystoma opacum before. Each animal needs their own enclosure, I recommend looking at their care sheets.
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Salamandra salamandra - Fire Salamander
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Tiger salamander
Caudata Culture Articles - Tiger Salamander 101
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Ambystoma opacum

They were from floridaherps. They've seemed to be doing alright with each other so far.

OK, I've read the care sheets you've attached. They seem to he almost identical in care. Keep in lower temperatures between 65-75. Feed twice a week on 2-4 crickets or meal worms. It seems they can be housed together if similar in aize and enough room is given to them. The tank I have is 55 gallons. And they do seem to be avoiding each other. No direct sunlight or UV lights. I do have two other tanks i could separate them into should the need arise. A 35 gallon and a 15.

One reason why it's not recommended to mix species is the risk of exchanging pathogens which is a problem. After looking at their website it is clear that these are not captive bred, it sells mostly species that are found wild caught plus in the product description it says that they are "Field Collected". For this reason I would suggest separating them. Also A. mavortium get much larger than A. opacum, and my Tiger tries to eat anything that moves, even if it is larger than itself which is also a risk.
And I would also change staple diets to earthworms or night crawlers, and occasional dusted crickets. Mealworms have hard exoskeletons which make them hard to digest and both mealworms and crickets aren't the best nutritionally, and uneaten crickets will bite the salamanders.

Yeah mixing species isn't recommended. But you are right, they do require similar habitats.
They could hibernate if you have a basement that gets very cold in the winter of you provide cooling, but hibernation isn't really necessary if you don't want to breed them.
No need for a heat lamp. Keep offering food. These species hide away a lot, so don't be surprised if they spend most of their day hiding. I heard a person say recently that marbled salamanders are the most boring pets they ever known. So that should describe to you how little they actually do - not much at all.
Like Aaron said, earthworms of night crawlers are much better that mealworms and crickets.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back