Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New small Terrestrial set up

A

andrea

When I found out about the toxicity of my N.v.v eft, I set out to build him a new little habitat. Here is what I used:
22593.jpg

Small Kritter Keeper and a 1/2 of a small bag of aquarium gravel.
22594.jpg

Small dish for water, set into the gravel.
22595.jpg

Green Moss, misted and spread over gravel.

Add one N.v.v eft and you got yourself a party! He seems to like it a lot so far!

I

ira

you should give him a peice of bark to hid under or he is going to be super stressed.

J

joseph

Yeah, I bet the little eft would appreciate a shelter on the land area.

A

andrea

yea, i was thinking about that, i've got something I can put in there no problem. Major hurricane just came through, lots of bark lying around everywhere! :D Thanks for the tip guys!

(btw just kidding, I know how much <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font> is on those, I'll find something for the little sweetie... (he's currently leaning up on the side of the plastic :D)

(Message edited by ladygemma on September 08, 2004)

N

nate

Your eft seems a bit too green to be an eft anymore, any chance you could give us a close-up of it?

A

andrea

sure, i'll take a good picture tonight when i get home from work. He's only bout an inch and 1/2 long, nose to tail. He changes color a lot, from a bright gold to a khaki green. He seems to change to the green when he's a little stressed. Thanks again for the input guys. I'll have that picture tonight for you!

K

kaysie

Gold and green? He's probably not an eft any more. Efts are bright red.

J

jennifer

Actually, some efts are less than red. The efts of broken-striped eastern newts are a dull orange, not strikingly different from the adult coloration.

A better way to tell eft from adult is by head shape. At adulthood, they get noticable parotoid glands, which give the head a slightly more boxy shape.

A

andrea

well, his head is definitely not boxy yet, but I will get a better picture up tonight.

A

andrea

Well, found out today from the resident herp person at the pet store i got him at, that when the batch of efts arrived they were bright red, and over the time they were there they darkened. I noticed his two remaining siblings are the same color as well. I will get the new picture up tonight or tomorrow.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!