Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New species of Japanese hynobiid?

TJ

Reaction score
Current Herpetology, Vol. 22, No. 1, June 2003

Occurrence of a Lotic Breeding Hynobius Salamander on Kamishima of the Amakusa Islands, Japan)

By Kanto Nishikawa, Masafumi Matsui, Shingo Tanabe, and Mariko Sakamoto

Abstract: We found a salamander of the genus Hynobius on Kamishima of the Amakusa Islands, Japan, which is new to this island group. From the characteristics of larval habitat and morphology, this salamander is considered to be a lotic breeder. Until the discovery of this species, only a lentic breeding species (Hynobius nebulosus) was known from the Amakusa Islands. Morphologically the present salamander is well differentiated from other lotic breeding Hynobius of nearby regions and is closest to the southernmost population of H. boulengeri from the Osumi Peninsula among the species or populations examined. In order to determine its taxonomic position, however, genetic analyses using a larger number of comparative specimens are needed. The biogeographic significance of the present finding is briefly discussed.

H

henk

Well that's an exiting news Tim... there's still quite some thingsmoving into Hynobius area , no ???

TJ

Reaction score
Well, Henk, for a while there I hadn't wanted to think much about Hynobius, being still upset over having lost some precious stejnegeri larvae during a recent trip. Then I also had a separate mishap involving some prized kimurae larvae, and I lost two of my dunni juvies for whatever reason despite their being so hardy
sad.gif

So as part of a scale-down operation I gave away my adult nigrescens and my stejnegeri morph -- and was even heard muttering under my breath about giving up on Hynobius altogether
blob.gif

But...I still have dozens and dozens of dunni, tokyoensis and nebulosus juvies, some lichenatus juvies, a retardus juvie and that pair of takedai. And every time I feed the nebulosus (which is a real pleasure to watch because they're such aggressive feeders), I gradually recover my interest in Hynobiids
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I'll be sure to send you a copy of the above-mentioned report after I get ahold of it
wink.gif

TJ

Reaction score
In the meantime, here's another one for you:

Current Herpetology (Vol. 21, No. 2, December 2002)

Site Selection by Hynobius tokyoensis for Breeding in a Stream

By Sadao Ihara

Abstract: A breeding site of the salamander Hynobius tokyoensis in a flowing stream was surveyed in the Yamanaka District of Miura Peninsula, central Japan, from March to April 2000, and from February to March 2002. The numbers of males, females, and egg sac pairs found in the stream were 32, three, and 31 in 2000, and 27, three, and 32 in 2002, respectively. The results of field observations suggest that the salamander prefers hollows under broader stones in the stream for breeding and/or spawning, presumably in order to avoid accidental washing away of egg sacs.

H

henk

Hey, you still continue to amaze me Tim, this is totally nex to me and gives me a new insight on those Tokyoensis. With me they are quite difficult to keep and breed. this article gives me new ideas altogether.

By the way I have been able to find a 3rd H. okiensis now... hope this might work once.

Currently my animals start to get active and I hope this is going to be another interesting salamander breeding year...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1