New species of salamander described

R

robert

New species of salamander described.

New Species Of Salamander Found In Eastern Tennessee
Information Courtesy CNAH press release.
Herpetologists Jennifer A. Anderson and Stephen G. Tilley, Smith College, Northampton, Massachusetts, recently discovered and formally described as new to science a unique salamander from the Cumberland Plateau of eastern Tennessee. Their article, entitled "Systematics of the Desmognathus ochrophaeus Complex in the Cumberland Plateau of Tennessee" appeared in the fall 2003 issue of Herpetological Monographs, published by the Herpetologist's League.
Appropriately dubbed the Cumberland Dusky Salamander, this small amphibian was given the scientific names Desmognathus abditus. The species name "abditus" comes from Latin, and means hidden, concealed, or secret. The authors so named this creature because for so long it had remained hidden from science in the heavily-populated eastern United States.
An excellent color image of this new salamander by Steve Tilley can be accessed and viewed on the CNAH web site at
http://www.cnah.org/detail.asp?id=1238
For more information, contact the second author, Dr. Stephen G. Tilley at
stilley@email.smith.edu

Hi Robert. This had actually already been posted about a week or so ago in the Plethodontid forum. I'm sure the D. ochrophaeus complex has 1-3 more "cryptic" species yet to come.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back