New tank at last

J

jade.

Finally i have a new tank for my axolotls, its more than twice the size of my old one.
I have added the sand into it, which is river sand (washed heaps just in case) and the tank is looking great so far.

I bought two new filters, a weirpro internal filter, just like my old one but bigger, and a under-gravel filter.

Which one is better for my axolotls? the weirpro is very powerfull, so im not sure, and i've heard that under-gravel filters aren't good for axolotls.

Me and mum are going shopping this week to get some supplies. Dechlorinators, plants and other things. Hopefully they will have a water test kit so i can tell when the cycling is finished.

also, i was seeing if my axolotls could feed themselves, so i put some pellets into a dish. only to have returned to see the dish floating up the top and Loki gourging himself into his food
happy.gif

Unfortuanely no pictures, cant find the camera, but the tank is looking great!

I hope you can answer my questions, this forum has given me nearly everything i need to know on axies, so thanks everyone!

You can't use an undergravel filter with sand, it will just get clogged up. Even when used with gravel, there is a lot of gunk that gets trapped between the plate and the glass (my sister has one in her fish tank). See if you can take this one back and get a refund.

Can the weirpro's flow be turned down at all? Have you considered a hob (hang over the back/waterfall type) or if your tank is big enuf a external cannister type one?

yeah, my weirpro is adjustable, but when its on low its very noisy, while my old one isnt, so im going to use my old, little weirpro.

Put a spray bar on, and angle it down the back wall.
I have a vicious interpet PF2 that I just angled up and along the wall, and it's beautiful!
Like a little waterfall, good aeration and filtration, and not a sign of concern from my little angel!

i went shopping today and i got water conditioner and a water test kit, my mum wasn't too happy about me getting one, seeing as it cost her $65... oh well. :p

i bought another log hideaway for them and the tank is looking a bit bare, a plant, sand and a log but i hope to make it nice.

i put my betta in there for cycling and this is what my test kit read:
PH: 7.5
nitrate: 40-ish
nitrite: err... can't remember but it wasnt good, lol.
ammonia: ... the test tube was clear, what does this mean?

can't wait to put them in once the clycling is finished.

(Message edited by taelliejade on October 03, 2006)

oh, and what is the reading when the tank is done cycling?

i think its something like this:

PH: 7.5
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 40 or less
Nitrite: 0

thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back