New tank. Cycle Question

Psychonautx

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone. A few weeks ago i joined because i had aquired a few CFBN . I currently have 2 in a 10 gallon. Today i purchased a 20 gl long. Ive had the 10 gallon for about a month and the newts seem to be doing alot better. They eat. They are submerged 95% of the time and are very active. I want to seitch them to the 20 gl. I have taken dome decor from the 10 and put it into the new tank so as to help with cycling. I do have a question. I have a established Firebellytoads tank with a pond side. Can i ise that filter so as to help cycle the new tank ? Or will toxins be a threat ? Pathogens ? Also will a moss ball or aquatic plants do ok in a new set up or are they susceptible to harm from the cycling ? Thanks in advance !

cce015be3b7223445609f9f2407a9369.jpg

fea72ebd59dcb066db699cb32b401f76.jpg

6629cabf286596bfb781ed23dd1faf43.jpg

Heres two filters in the Firebellytoad tank.
5d1de5c0f020f7680a9e8780f4297a08.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Hello everyone. A few weeks ago i joined because i had aquired a few CFBN . I currently have 2 in a 10 gallon. Today i purchased a 20 gl long. Ive had the 10 gallon for about a month and the newts seem to be doing alot better. They eat. They are submerged 95% of the time and are very active. I want to seitch them to the 20 gl. I have taken dome decor from the 10 and put it into the new tank so as to help with cycling. I do have a question. I have a established Firebellytoads tank with a pond side. Can i ise that filter so as to help cycle the new tank ? Or will toxins be a threat ? Pathogens ? Also will a moss ball or aquatic plants do ok in a new set up or are they susceptible to harm from the cycling ? Thanks in advance !

1. Toxins wouldn't be enough to harm but possible pathogens could be an issue. I would advise against using filters from other aquariums (sponge juice etc) - they could help cycling but can bring in unwanted microorganism/fungus as well.

2. Moss balls or other aquatic plants should be okay in new setup, although you may see them wither a bit at first because of new water parameters etc, but give them enough time and light and they will spring back to life as long as you don't fiddle with them too much.

Overall I'd advise to have patience with a new tank cycling and avoid short-cuts.

Your moss balls sould be almost invincible. I new nothing about newts or cycling a tank when i got my newts of ebay. I had my moss ball from my old betta tank. I cycled my 2 newts and 4 moss balls and java fern in same tank. I have a five gallon with 7 inches of water and i would replace about 1 1/2 inches of water every other day. That was in September now i change about same amount once a week. My female newt has layed over 50 eggs in my java fern .

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back