Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New tank for my babies

A

ashlee

I have two golden albino babies (about 3 months old) and they are getting too big for the little tank (0.5 gallon) that I have them in. I bought a 5.5gal tank and some black aquarium sand, as well as a micro-filter. I also have some smooth round rocks(big) to put in there, and I will be putting in a plexi-glass divider (with small holes for circulation. The two babies are only about an inch to and inch and a half long, so I know the tank size will suffice for the time being.

Here is the problem, Today I filled the tank with water, added the sand, and started the filter. I don't have the dividing wall or rocks in there yet. But the water is black from the sand! Will the sand settle soon? I don't plan on putting the babies in there until this weekend, will it be ok by then?

I've been around axies for awhile now, but only in a research type situation. This is my first time having my own axies and caring for them.

Any advice would be great! I love them ... they're just too cute!! Thanks in advance!

C

cynthia

I used the white sand for the 1st time last week. The water was pretty cloudy for 24 hours. It took 36 hours to clear completely. I didn't have the axolotls in the tank so I ran 2 large filters on the tank to help clear the water.

Let me know how the black sand does. I was torn between it and the white.

happy.gif

J

jarred

I just put sand in my tank and it took about 12 hours to clear. I had my filter running on high so it cleared faster. I also cleaned the sand thoroughly, over and over again, before putting it in the tank.

Your tank should be alright by the weekend. If not, just give it a little longer.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1