Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New tank

cody

Reaction score
My new tank 3ft by18"by15"
35700.jpg
Still have to plant it though it looks a bit bland at the moment

A

anne-marie

Looks good, but I'm a bit worried about that metal dish in there?? Not sure how that will react with the water.

cody

Reaction score
Completly cool solid stainless steel made it at work unreal for feeding them in no mess what so eva an im a fluid technition at work so i accidently borrowed sum test an stainless is the only steel than neva reacted to the water

B

brett

How do you get the axy to eat from a plate?
Mines so dumb he cant find food more than half-inch in front of his face!

cody

Reaction score
Im thinkn maybe sum big broad leaf plants type of elephant ear type dealo dunno but mite have a look at the lfs today

cody

Reaction score
35831.jpg
I added some anubias some cambomba an sum more elodea(my favorite plant)
35832.jpg
An heres my african tank just for the hell of itSorry the waters still a bit cloudy

A

anne-marie

Cody, how'd you go with the anubias? And what is that stripey fish in the second pic?

A

anne-marie

Duh, someone else has been using MY browser, and I didn't get all your post where you say "I got the anubias"!! But I still don't know what the stripey fish is??
happy.gif

cody

Reaction score
Psedotropheus lombardoi an african lake mawali cichlid tempremental little girl the males are really pretty yellow very aggresive fish but has alot of character not a good community fish but in that tank i have 6 small barbs a bristle nose catfish an the psedo in an 18"tank an they get along ok the psedo still runs the shop though

A

anne-marie

I've never quite got the obsession with cichlids?? Whats so special??They seem to be really popular.

C

claire

Brett - axies need to be trained to find food on the bottom of the tank. i trained one of my axies to do this becuase he took a long time to eat his worms. i just took him out of his tank and put him into a big tub with worms cut into pieces and just left him to it. he got what he had to do after a while. then when he was able to eat fast enough i had to train him to come to the top of the water for his worms! ahhh my axies are sooo intelligent!!!

cody

Reaction score
If you hand feed axies all the time they get lazy kinda like kids if they want it makem work for it the reasons cichlids are so popular are because of their character and intellegence i suggest buy a decent sized tank put nothn but gravel in it maybe some big rocks an purchase a big old oscar and your garenteed a freind for the next 15 years

S

sharon

We've got a three yr old oscar but if I had been asked what is the attraction of cichlids I would have said "colors" only cichlids come in the intense shades that you find in marine fish and people always want those colors.

I used to work for a petshop and its the first thing that grabs a customers attention. If you've got some electric yellows and a green terror - people are HOOKED. Until one fish devastates a tank. You try to teach 'em but they don't want to listen.

They are incredibly smart - our Oscar has a plastic ball to play with. It floats at the top of the tank and he "pitches" it against the lid - sometimes out of the tank if we've left it open.

He's a character.

B

brian

Colour, and their near-indestructability. You want a hearty fish that can live through a few mistakes, these are your guys. I got a cichlid from a friend who wasn't taking care of it. It was a firemouth. It hadn't eaten ina month, hadn't been cleaned in almost 6 months, just had the water topped up. It was in perfect health, and super-bright colour, even after such harsh conditions.

cody

Reaction score
Theres about a thousand reasons why people love cichlids i geuss each to their own but the reason i love them is their really weird habits an they really do have stunning colours an your right they are pretty damn tough

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1