Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Task

Shadow

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm presenting to you an unused aquarium that I'm looking to get up and running (The Bug has got me). Dimensions are 40cmx20cmx21cm (LxWxH). Now I know it could be bigger but room space persists in ruining my life by not giving much so this is where I need your help guys! :cool:

I'm looking into making a sort of 50/50 with this thing and to use a filter. Also with the terrestrial side, I want moss and some plants. I know I can't have all my eggs in one basket and that's why I'm looking for some help. If people could suggest some Caudates that would be OK in here then that will help a lot in me building this for their needs. Any criticism is welcome (I'm expecting the whole "It's too small" thing which is okay). Here are some examples of Species I would like:
- Triturus marmoratus
- Triturus pygmaeus

Also I'll provide some photo's.

Many Thanks!
Joe

Attachments

• SN850910.jpg
    SN850910.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 216
  • SN850914.jpg
    SN850914.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 192

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Well, i´ll be the first to say it...yes, it´s way too small. It´s short of 17 litres.... The minimum volume of water recommended for even one animal of a small species is 40 l, so yeah....too small. And if you are thinking on a 50/50 set-up then you are going to be left with something like 5 litres of water? And with a filter??
I´d consider that completely inadequate for either species, but more so T.marmoratus since they are larger and bulkier.
You could use that tank for raising juveniles or larvae, possibly even for the terrestrial phase of a small species, but personally i would say that´s pretty much it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!