New tiger salamander owner has SO many questions!!

bioteach

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello there! I am a new sally owner looking for the advice of the pros. I have a LOT of questions but I would happy to get any answers at all. First some background information:

I am a high school biology teacher and last April one of my students gave me his 5 year old tiger salamander, Sally. (I know, wonderfully original name). Since then I have gradually improved her habitat and I have included pictures. The substrate is cypress mulch (recommended by an exotic pet store owner) and I have some kind of moss that I collected on the border of a region of a state park that is heavily environmentally protected. I have a plexiglass barrier between the land and water portion and a filter. The wood is driftwood from petsmart and the plant is a fake.

The main challenge here is of course budget and the BIG one: I have to be able to disassemble the habitat and move it twice a year (winter break and summer break). So here are my questions/concerns:

1. The drainage. I tried sealing the plexiglass to the tank using aquarium sealant but I must have done and poor job because although I gave it proper time to dry (3 days) it held up for about a week and then leaked into the land portion. I had anticipated this so the bottom portion of the land is gravel, but it has soaked into the cypress. Although the cypress isn’t drenched with puddles, it is soaked and I know that can’t be good. Is there a better drainage system for me to use besides gravel? Any other construction tips?

2. The moss. Right now I just have a basic grow light on the tank (it doesn’t get too hot so Sally won’t overheat). I am hesitant to spray the moss regularly because the drainage problem means the base is always moist. I put the moss in mid June and it hasn’t totally died but it definitely isn’t as pretty as it was. How do I make it healthier?

3. The driftwood. The driftwood I got from petsmart is growing some kind of mold. It’s not out of control, but it is still worrying me. I don’t know what is a healthy amount of decomposition for my mini ecosystem and what is harmful. It is kind of a sage green color. I read that it could be lack of ventilation but I already have only a screen cover on the top so I don’t know how I can help that. Should I be concerned about this?

4. Shedding. I have read that it is normal for salamanders to shed, but I just want to be sure that this much shedding is normal. In the almost 5 months that I’ve had her I have seen her shed at least four times that I saw. I read that I wasn’t supposed to clean it because it has bacteria and she will eat it anyways, so I didn’t, expect once when it all came off it one piece (I am an educator and I had to show that off). Her previous owner had her in a much less suitable habitat from what I understand, and it was much smaller, and he said he never noticed her shed. I just wanted to be sure this shedding is okay.

Those are my main questions. Answer one or more and you will be my hero! REMEMBER: any solutions have to be easy enough to disassemble twice a year. Thank you so much in advance for helping a new salamander owner! (sorry it's so long...)

Hello :happy:

Welcome to the hobby!

So, you tried to make a glass ( or plexiglass ) divider so that there is a water and land area? Am i understanding that correctly? If so, then all your really need is a sufficiently sized water bowl. Just something Sally can fit her whole body into. It could be a plastic container or a water bowl you can buy at a pet store. That would solve the drainage problem as well.
I would also recommend changing the substrate to Coco Fiber, you can find it in blocks or bagged at most pet stores. Don't listen to the petstore employees, they rarely seem to know what they are talking about unfortunately.

As for the moss, i'm not sure. I have never been too good with moss myself. For misting, you want the tank to be moist, but not wet. So just try and mist whenever the tank seems to be getting a bit too dry.

Hmm, i think the driftwood should be fine for now. Just keep an eye on it and make sure the mold doesn't take it over. Too much moisture or misting can cause mold. Also, adding isopods to the tank would help as they may eat the mold, and may also become a added food source for the salamander. A picture would also help.

I wouldn't be concerned about the shedding, sounds like a normal amount to me.

Pictures of the whole enclosure would be great :)

I hope this helps! -Seth

Also, be careful about putting actual water areas in their tanks. Tigers have a tendency of becoming sick when there is a lot of water

Also, be careful about putting actual water areas in their tanks. Tigers have a tendency of becoming sick when there is a lot of water

Xavier, that is when the soil is too moist, not when there is a body of water.

Hello :happy:

Pictures of the whole enclosure would be great :)

I knew I was forgetting something! Here is a pic of the setup and of Sally. I am still learning how to post pictures on here so for some reason they are stretched until you click on them.

qATaGa8.jpg

rkMlaBi.jpg

Xavier, that is when the soil is too moist, not when there is a body of water.

One time I was thinking about making a body of water for Pirate, but people said no. Looks like I know what I'm doing this weekend!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back