Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New to fungus…

Cetocx

Reaction score
hellooo.. sorry in advance for long post and all the questions lol

Before work Yesterday I noticed a couple small fluffy spots on my axolotl Judys head (1pm). Now that I came home (11pm) she is covered in fluffy white fungus spots, a few on the tips of gills. I’ve started a tank change. I have no containers big enough to tub her tonight. I don’t have any non-iodized salt until tomorrow.

I have read that a q tip can gently rub the spots.. I did that but I’m scared of rubbing off her slime coat so I only did a bit and tried to vacuum the spores.
(wrote this last night. Dave now has a few spots. Picked up aquarium salt just now)

How long do I have before any serious damage sets in?
Will I need to clean the fake plants and filter for the fungus? (Thinking of the good bacteria)
And last question, How do I make this stress free as possible for the 2 of them?
Thanks!

AMurry24537

Reaction score
If you have two axolotls, separate them if possible. The most likely reason for fungus is poor water quality, so I would recommend doing 50% water changes every 12 hours. What are your water parameters? You can rinse out the filter/plants in the old water when you do water changes, but beyond that, you probably shouldn't need to do much cleaning in that sense. I personally have had really good luck with doing tea baths instead of salt baths, but their effects are debatable and admittedly, I've only ever had minor fungus problems.

To keep them stress free, try not to disturb them as much as you can and, as always, keep their temperatures low.

Cetocx

Reaction score
Thank you! I had to fridge them separately since I work 40 mins away until I can get the tank back to normal. I vacuumed 50% of their tank water so far, no gravel or sand.
Had changed them to a cycled tank in a cooler room, so the temp was between 17-19 but had a few hot days in a row. I have a fan blowing on the top and a filter. I remember The ammonia was 1 ppm I added a detoxifier and waited another day and tested before adding them. They’ve been in this new tank maybe a week or so.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!