Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New to idea/ and want some direction

gulickje

Reaction score
i am intested in owning one of these boogers. I have a want for a lavender gfp. But no idea if they exist, where to find one. I do not have any of the set up yet. I know sand is reccomended as subrate- any color? And recomended chiller thats not entirely over priced?? I am disabled and looking for things that catch my eye. I just started the hobby of fish/ amp... and want to grow on it.

gulickje

Reaction score
Would this work in a 29 gal or even a 40 gal to keep axol cool??

Attachments

• D0772892-6E24-4F22-8C6C-99A682B17E97.png
    D0772892-6E24-4F22-8C6C-99A682B17E97.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 162

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
Would this work in a 29 gal or even a 40 gal to keep axol cool??
That chiller will handle 9 gallons, at the very most. Aquarium chillers are not always a necessity. I dont use chillers on my larger tanks, just simple fans blowing across the surface of the water to increase evaporative cooling. Even in florida summer, I can keep my tanks around 66. Generally, for a starting set up, you will need a minimum 20 gallon (long) tank. A 40 breeder is ever better and allows more "floor" space for them to move around on the bottom. You'll want to invest in a good filter and a good quality liquid test kit (like the API freshwater master kit). The biggest hurdle with axolotls is maintaining good water quality. Regular testing and weekly water changes are crucial. Your decor/substrate choice is really up to you aesthetically as long as they have a place to hide. Ultra fine grain sand, tile, or slate are the only appropriate substrates. Gravel is a big no-no.

Hope that helps get your started. Please feel free to reach our directly if you have any questions.

gulickje

Reaction score
I am working on setup now.. waiting on few things to show up yet. I have not gotten master test kit yet, but thats my next big purchase to get. The first baby has been shipped. For the most part i think i am ready, but until the tank is fully cycled and ready. Can i keep baby in tub and change water out with spring water? Will that harm them?

Attachments

• E11BA31C-47F4-4AB0-810E-640168257009.jpeg
    E11BA31C-47F4-4AB0-810E-640168257009.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 101

gulickje

Reaction score
I am working on setup now.. waiting on few things to show up yet. I have not gotten master test kit yet, but thats my next big purchase to get. The first baby has been shipped. For the most part i think i am ready, but until the tank is fully cycled and ready. Can i keep baby in tub and change water out with spring water? Will that harm them?

Attachments

• 6DFEF18F-7053-4052-A240-5338652D3A7D.jpeg
    6DFEF18F-7053-4052-A240-5338652D3A7D.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 117

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
Keeping them tubbed is fine for now. Just be sure you're changing the water 100% daily.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!