Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New to Salamander care and needing help!

clokujo

Reaction score
Hello! My name is Chloe and i’ve always liked amphibians and reptiles but i finally got the opportunity to take care of a marbled salamander for my aquatic science class and i’m beginning to doubt all my teachers advice. I excused my salamanders absence during the winter due to hibernation but now that it’s the spring time and my salamander is sitting in a tank in my room him being burrowed all day and night worries me. He won’t eat meal worms (which i shouldn’t be feeding him but i had to try) or normal worms, i have yet to try crickets bc they’re unavailable anywhere during this quarantine. Is something i can do to help him? Maybe more heat? A plastic tub instead of his glass one for more humidity? I love him so much, i want a happy life for him genuinely and i plan on keeping him through college.

I know they’re a shy species but I’m worried regardless. I’ve had him for months and he still has yet to to eat but is still healthy and moved quite a lot when i was changing his tank last week. I just wanna know how to feed him and the proper protocol bc my teacher told me he will come when he is ready but it’s been months and they’re nocturnal so it’s not like i could feed him during school anyway :(

(sorry if my grammar is bad, i’ve stayed up for 24 hrs straight playing animal crossing and minecraft lol)

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Marbled salamanders are one of the shyest types of salamander. They spend their time hiding or buried and they do not become tame in captivity. The best you can do is leave food in there for it and see if it's still there the next day.

Do not heat it - you don't heat salamanders. Also, the container type is not as important as making sure the substrate is moist but not wet.

Your teacher is almost certainly wrong. I've never seen or heard of a wild caught marbled salamander coming for food. I'm not saying it's impossible, just extremely unlikely.

Lastly, if it hasn't eaten in months, it should be extremely thin. Do you have a recent photo?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1