New waterdog help

kholtme

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I purchased a waterdog last Sunday and I'm already obsessed. I feel that I have a good 10 gallon tank set up for him. I am trying to teach him to eat floating turtle pellets but he doesn't see the food floating. He looks a little chubby, but I think he's at a healthy size. He sits at the bottom but when I introduce food he hunts actively. He's ate 3 small feeder minos and some sinking carnuvore pellets. He seems to have warmed up to me because he will follow me in the tank when i sit down. How often should i feed him and how much? The sinking pellets are pretry small in size. I dont know much about waterdogs because there isn't much online, so any advice is appreciated. I want him to be as healthy and happy as possible. Thanks!
6c209ec694ed84e102b0e395c99c5194.jpg
c8602484e4516dc2746d85c8c2819b26.jpg
63f2d7216274c5818698d58c87405ed1.jpg
04d186d6c6e95e7f5c6a128f11304be6.jpg
a73c0bf481657f315b92798e3ffe4c0c.jpg

Sweet Dog!! I would get him on worms and then try to transition him to other foods. If you want to keep him in this state then you need to keep his tummy full and you need to control the water temp. If at all possible keep it around 50F or cooler. May I ask where you got him this time of year? Keep us posted on this guy. I love those Neos.....
Thanks,.
Trace :animal:

That looks like a tiger salamander to me in which case you know it will become terrestrial.

Keep him cold and full and he will stay this way. I need to get some Grindals from you. I think it is you that sells them??

Keep him cold and full and he will stay this way.

What? No, it won't...I mean, it might, depending on its genetics, but food and cold alone won't guarantee that metamorphosis stays supressed.

First off I am excited for him to change but something happened! Last night he looked perfect. Now this morning right away I seen him choking and he spit out two sinking pellets. He swims super stiff like an over blown balloon and now he's up side down. He looks bloated. Idk what's wrong. The first couple of days he was living on gravel. And I was scared he would swallow a rock so I switched his substrate to sand. I'm afraid I was too late!
1f01883fe5a7a9465b14a39119b29752.jpg

And I got him from my local pet smart. (Retailer)

Get him out of the water!!! He will drown! He can live outside the water and won't drown.!!!!

What? No, it won't...I mean, it might, depending on its genetics, but food and cold alone won't guarantee that metamorphosis stays supressed.

Yes it won't guarantee that it won't stay supressed. You are correct. The ones I have stay in this state. I have had some that I reared from eggs that half stay Neotenic and the others morph. Also, I feel that once one starts to morph it helps trigger the others. I think the sheds release some type of Pheromone. Not sure, an assumption.
I thought the gentleman wanted to keep him as a Waterdog and not morph him into a Landcat. My mistake.
Thanks again..........

How will he drown if he has gills? He lives and breaths under water.

In the previous photos I did notice that he seems a bit too bottom/tummy heavy...
And I also noticed a heater in the tank. I don't think that you want to be using a heater for these guys. Not sure though.... I haven't kept water dogs.
Hope he improves!

Do not take him out of the water. But I would move him to a shallow water tub so he will be better able to right himself. Not sure of the cause, but it looks like he has gas trapped inside.

The vast, vast majority of tiger sals will morph.

What i think has happened is he swallowed a rock and can't pass it through. For the first two days I had him he was on gravel substrate. He was sucking up and spitting out rocks when he was eating and that worried me so I switched to sand. I think he swallowed a rock. I just hope he can pass it through or spit it up. Can anyone confirm that a heater is bad? I have it set around 70 degrees.

Unless there is a risk that the water might freeze over, yes, a heater is bad.

Get him out of the water!!! He will drown! He can live outside the water and won't drown.!!!!

Nonsense! It can drown under water if the oxygen concentration is too low and it's unable to reach the surface to gulp air as supplementation, yes, that's a possibility. However it cannot live outside the water for any significant amount of time. The moment the skin and the gills start to dry out, the animal is in serious trouble.

The best course of action is definitely what Slowfoot recommended, a shallow enough container that the animal can gulp air with minimum effort but never have any of its parts outside of the water.

As well as reading the caresheet Slowfoot provided, you should give a thorough read to the water quality and cycling articles, the way your tank is set-up you are likely to experience problems with water quality. Also, you should start reading as many threats as possible. There's an unbelievable amount of info on aquatic ambystomatids in this site.

In the future, i would encourage you to not participate of the wild-caught market, the animal you have in your house was taken from the wild, stacked with many others, imported in bad conditions, stored and exposed to who knows what....the survivors are then delivered to shops where they almost always receive inadequate care, undergo no quarantines or anything, etc, then sold to you. This is both bad for the species, bad for the animals in question and bad for you as a costumer. It's bad in every permutation.

Unfortunately he didn't make it. I came back home and was going to lower his water and remove the heater but he was unresponsive. He also had some poop stuck to his underside so it looked like he was trying to poop. I want another one, but I don't want to kill another one.

Unfortunately he didn't make it. I came back home and was going to lower his water and remove the heater but he was unresponsive. He also had some poop stuck to his underside so it looked like he was trying to poop. I want another one, but I don't want to kill another one.

I'm so sorry to hear that....

Good luck in the future.

Azhael, you say with my tank set up I will experience water quality issues. Can you explain why please?

Get your money back from petsmart, read up on care, get a tank ready, and then look into buying a captive bred axolotl. Much better choice, in my opinion.

Where do I find a captive breed axolotl (I'm new to this kind of stuff, so to clarify I want a waterdog, or a larva that transforms into a tiger salamander.) I removed the heater and also I have a bio filter. And using a water conditioner that makes tap water safe for fish. I also have an air pump that bubbles air from the bottom. The waterdog I just had seemed to like to sit on the bubbles and get a massage. I made the mistake of purchasing a waterdog before getting true information on them. I read some articles online and thought I was ready but joined here to get more personal answers. He died so quickly so I don't know if it was my tanks, the old gravel I used, or just because of pet smart that caused him to die so quickly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back