Newbie to Field Herping/Gathering Thoughts

zombieaddict

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Alice in Wonderland
I've been reading some other topics in this section about field herping and they're filled with information! I just wanted to start a topic of my own where I could put information that I'm gathering and hear some input from you more experienced folks at the same time! That way everything's in one awesome spot whenever I need to refer to it!

So after reading several topics, I concluded that the first thing I need to do is construct a list of newts and salamanders that are actually found in my area of Maryland so that I know what to look for and where I might find it.

This is what I've come up with so far including the common name, scientific name, a link to their information, and listing under current status.

Watchlist:
Jefferson Salamander(Ambystoma jeffersonianum)
("This is a State Watchlist species. It was formerly state listed as “Threatened” but has been found to have a larger Maryland distribution than previously known and is locally abundant in some areas.")

Common:
Northern Red Salamander(Pseudotriton ruber ruber)
Four Toed Salamander(Hemidactylium scutatum)
Eastern Red-Backed Salamander(Plethodon cinereus)
Northern Slimy Salamander(Plethodon glutinosus)
Valley and Ridge Salamander(Plethodon hoffmani)
Red Spotted Newt(Notophthalmus viridescens viridescens)
Long Tailed Salamander(Eurycea longicauda longicauda)
Northern Two-Lined Salamander(Eurycea bislineata)
Northern Spring Salamander(Gyrinophilus porphyriticus porphyriticus)
Marbled Salamander(Ambystoma opacum)
Spotted Salamander(Ambystoma maculatum)
Northern Dusky Salamander(Desmognathus fuscus)

Fortunately I have lots of time to research more how exactly to go about tracking these guys down and documenting them! I look forward to all the awesome information this site has to offer on that.

What part of Maryland are you in?? Check springs/seeps this time of year for duskies, two-lineds, and red salamanders. During the first warm rains of the year you can drive around on backroads looking for spotted salamanders making their spring migration. In the fall you can do the same for marbleds. Warmer winter days (40+) will produce red backs under their usual hiding spots - logs, rocks, etc.

Thanks for the tips! I'm just a few minutes shy of the PA boarder actually. I didn't realize I could start looking this soon! I was thinking that it's looking awful marshy out there with all the rain we've gotten in the last few days. I'll have to do some exploring tomorrow to see if I can find anything.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back