Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newbie with hatchlings

redzzu

Reaction score
I keep my axolotls in a cool room and the adults seem healthy and happy, but I have had a surprise clutch of eggs laid which I harvested. The eggs took awhile longer to hatch than what I've read they should (kept in the same room). Once hatched the babies all fed well on brine shrimp and have been growing; they're about 3 weeks old and some are almost an inch long now. Over the past couple of days however I've found the odd one or two floating belly-up, tummies full and still alive, but it just doesn't seem right to me. They "recover" and swim and feed again and so far I haven't lost any, and i'm just wondering if it's maybe a bit too cold in that room for proper digestion in the young ones...?? Early today I moved them to a warmer room (around 67 degrees) but still found a few (different ones, different colors) doing the same thing. Is this at all normal at this stage?
I do twice daily 50% water changes and vacuum all waste in between feedings, and there is little of that (ie dead shrimp, just some poop), and all look "full" and well fed. Any ideas?

Cloppy

Reaction score
It could be a gas problem, I have heard that if the water parameters are off, or they get hit really hard by something, their gas bubbles shift and it causes them to float weirdly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1