newly morphed spotted diet

kingswede

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
kingswede
does anyone have any suggestions on what to feed newly morphed spotted salamanders? these guys are tiny

Jake

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jacob Bidinger
Earthworms are a good food for them. Finding some that are small enough this time of year could be tricky.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There’s a number of tiny prey items that can be easily cultured but ideally these would have been started way in advance of them morphing.

Fruit flies have the fastest turn around (D.melanogaster are the smallest commercial variety) but are not a complete food and will require dusting with a vitamin supplement. Other good cultures to have on the go include lesser waxworms, woodlice, spring tails and mealworms. I believe some keepers in the US use blackworms in a shallow dish of water to feed morphs. Another option is to chop small earthworms into bite size pieces that still wriggle enough to attract their attention.

Mark

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
How big do you think a sal has to get before springtails aren't worth it's effort?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When they stop eating them ;).

Some tropic collembola grow up to 4mm, are commercially available and very easy to culture in their thousands. A great starter food for tiny morphs.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Kingswede - how small is "tiny"? Spotted sals usually morph fairly large (compared to eastern newts, the smaller Trituruses, etc). The spotted sal morphs may be too big for springtails. I'd suggest cut-up pieces of earthworm or pinhead crickets.

caudatious

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
AUDACIOUSLY CAUDATIOUS
I morphed out nearly 100 of them, and 98% of them ate 3/16 - 1/4 inch crickets straight out of the water. They're surprisingly agile and grow very fast with nutritiously balanced crickets.

Caudatious

kingswede

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
kingswede
thanks everyone, i put some pinheads in with them and the crickets disappeared, the morphs are about 1/2 the size of my pinky jenn

caudatious

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
AUDACIOUSLY CAUDATIOUS
I'm curious, what is/was the total length of your average juvenile A. maculatum when it morphed? Mine were about 1.5" total length and were capable of eating crickets that were nearly a quarter of an inch long. Obviously, depending upon water quality (nitrates, etc.) they may morph earlier at smaller sizes.

The animals in the photo below are clearing .5" crickets without any problems.

Caudatious

caudataman

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Brian
Great picture AC! Who doesn't love baby pictures! Those are some nice lookin' spots!

kingswede

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
kingswede
i only have 2 and they are both about 1.5" long, i didn't raise them though, i bought them from tricounty exotics in SC. how old are the spots in the pic Caudatious?

caudataman

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Brian
'Swede - next week, when the temps here are back in the 50's (I'm about an hour from you on the bad side of The River), go into a wooded lot and flip some fallen logs and grab the small worms that live underneath. Go to Walmart and get a medium size plastic storage bin. Drill some holes in the top for air. Through a mix of damp worm bedding and topsoil (no fertilizer) in it and add some non-meat table scraps. Store it in your basement and you should get a decent worm colony going in no time. A few dozen starters are all you need. I did it last year and haven't had to buy a worm in over a year (nightcrawlers excepted). You want the small red ones an inch or so long. Worms will get your spotties growing. Private message to follow...

caudatious

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
AUDACIOUSLY CAUDATIOUS
The animals depicted in the photo (taken recently) have been out of the water for about 8-10 weeks. They're now about 3 inches total length and nearly the girth of a dime.

Caudatious

bxboy57

Reaction score
Country
United States
Spotties

Hey Caudatious, just curious if you bred those guys or found an egg mass out there somewhere. Beautiful little guys, either way.

caudatious

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
AUDACIOUSLY CAUDATIOUS
We found some egg masses early on this spring that were stranded in a drying ditch. I moved several to a nearby pool with other masses and brought a couple home.

I am not aware of any true captive breeding of these. Can anyone else here provide information to the contrary?

Caudatious

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • sde:
    Caudata.org chat? Haven’t seen this in years
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    @sde, hi everybody I'm getting a tiger salamander coming from Katy Texas what are the shipping conditions that's okay to have them shipped to me in the state of Vermont it's just starting to get the temperature low above 45 but it may be too hot to ship him any thoughts or ideas on how to work this out
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtmember:
    as long as its not freezing they should ship fine. I usually ship mine in 2 days priorities like axolotl. insulation and some cold pack. Is this morphed or still a larvae?
    +1
    Unlike
  • macmac194:
    Greetings I have a quaratined tiger salamander due to not feeding and feeling lethargic. I saw a slimy green stuff inside the enclosure. Is this vomit? Poop?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jjrio421:
    Are you still looking to rehome any of your axolotl babies?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest nagato has joined the room.
  • (Guest) nagato:
    Does anybody know where or who to buy danube crested newts from?
  • Mother of Dragons:
    Anyone in the DMV area looking for juvenile axolotls? I have several morphs available. Experienced owners and pickup only please.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest axmaolotl has joined the room.
  • Ariania Lee-Ann:
    I currently have a 3 year old axolotl, he hasn't been eating for the past couple of weeks and has lost a lot of weight. Hedwig usually eats bloodworms and earthworms just fine but now he won't even stud it. I've done a water change to make his nitrate lower and his water is at a good temperature
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest zippy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) zippy:
    what substrate is he on?
  • Linkisnotzelda:
    Are any of you guys on Quora? I’ve started an axolotl space there and am looking for people interested in helping out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • KarateKid08:
    I am wanting a spotted or tiger salamander and I was wondering how often to feed, what the best feeders would be and how many fed per feeding session.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtboi:
    Can I has alpine newts pls
    +1
    Unlike
  • ndbug:
    Any ambystoma breeders looking for californiense
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    does anybody have any information on homemade baby axolotl food?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    I have an earthworm farm, and a tight budget.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Naxuzi:
    Hey guys I was wondering if my axolotl looks fine to you he/she (still don’t know) I’d activate and eating as usual but I did notice veins in the tail area.. let me know what you guys think! Also if anyone could tell if it’s a boy or girl that would be great! (Zolo was eating a worm and pretty sure the worm pooped XD)
    +2
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    Where can I find a yellow western tiger
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Eleven11 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Eleven11 has joined the room.