Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt eyesight

Zaina

Reaction score
Okay I need answers asap plEASE

Are newts blind? Or have poor eyesight?!

I have a few italian alpine newts and they, their entire lives, have behaved as if they are literally basically 100000% blind.

Like worms dangling in front of their very faces as they are frantically trying to eat their worms and they have zero clue.

PNW

Reaction score
Okay I need answers asap plEASE

Are newts blind? Or have poor eyesight?!

I have a few italian alpine newts and they, their entire lives, have behaved as if they are literally basically 100000% blind.

Like worms dangling in front of their very faces as they are frantically trying to eat their worms and they have zero clue.
Zaina,
I'm no expert, but all the newts I've kept see pretty well. If your newts are juveniles and living on the land, they will need live food, because they track their food using motion. Like reptiles, they basically see something when it moves. So my juvenile Alpines will literally put their noses on their prey and wait for them to move before they eat them. If they're in the water they also use their sense of smell to find food. They're less movement dependent in the water. I'm wondering if hand feeding them is scaring them? How do they do with small crickets, if they are on land? If in the water, will they eat frozen blood worms? They are very patient and often will not feed if they see you--especially if they are new and just getting used to you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1