Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt ID/ confirmation?

shnabo

Reaction score
A few months ago I was browsing a pet store and came across an interesting looking fire belly, so I brought it home. I was looking online to try to ID it but it is like no firebelly I have ever seen. A friend of mine happened to buy two of the same kind with less visible spots from the same store two weeks prior, so we are hoping to have a possible breeding group. There wasn't much info online or pictures to refer to, based on my research and some people I have spoken to I think it is H. Orphicus, I was wondering if anyone is working with these or could confirm? The spots don't turn out too well in pics, vary from dark to light from time to time. The chubby pic is current. It also has some white spots on its back kind of like a Japanese fire belly, some orange on the dorsal and orange on top of the 'elbows'. Any help is appreciated ??

Attachments

• IMG_9705.jpg
    IMG_9705.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 509
  • IMG_9689.jpg
    IMG_9689.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_9706.jpg
    IMG_9706.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 347

shnabo

Reaction score
I am curious if they are just colour morphs or have possibly already hybridized. I will post updates if there are any! Thank you for your help.

Jort

Reaction score
Beautiful animals! I've seen a couple of colour varieties with H. orientalis, but never this one. Had to google orphicus and they show a lot of similarities.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1