Question: Newt ID?

23matt3

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was given two "Warty Newts" but I am not sure that they are in fact Warty Newts - at least going by pics online. Could someone ID these guys for me? Thanks!
0ee320b4cc479bd1bdfadf50d6329fa6.jpg
99cfbc39d283f9cab67ce56c494b9fb4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was given two "Warty Newts" but I am not sure that they are in fact Warty Newts - at least going by pics online. Could someone ID these guys for me? Thanks!
0ee320b4cc479bd1bdfadf50d6329fa6.jpg
99cfbc39d283f9cab67ce56c494b9fb4.jpg

bcaa111b27b1811cfe0aedda10532bb1.jpg

They do appear to be a Paramesotriton species, AKA the warty newts, but of which of the species it belongs to is anybody's guess

Awesome thank you! First time owning Warty's. I thought they were fire bellys at first, but they are much larger than them. I also have two fire belly newts and 8 peninsula newts

I would say Paramesotriton hongkongensis. Quite a lucky find really as I don't think they're imported to the USA any more.
Be careful if they're sharing a tank, they can fight viciously over the best territory, sometimes to the death.

That's interesting. Yeah currently they are sharing a tank. Just a 10 gallon at the moment until I fix up the 20 long that I have for them. They were a last minute pick up. Someone posted them on Craigslist, trying to get rid of them or letting them go so I snatched them up quick. They were both in a 10 gallon tank with other fish

Chinadog, The more i look at them, the more i see that they are indeed Paramesotriton hongkongensis. I noticed they do not care for bloodworms or anything not "live". They go insane for some earthworms. lol. Is sexing them the same for Fire belly newts? Curious to see if i have a possible mating pair

They also could be fuzhongensis but difficult to say when unknown locality data. Territorial aggression with fatal consequences usually occurs between males and sometimes male against female during breeding season.
When observing male persistently chasing and bites female it is better to separate them before it's too late (personal experience).
It's easy to sex them in late fall when breeding season starts but generally female has longer and more narrow tail whilst male's tale is shorter broader and more paddle like.
cheers
j.

I recently posted on the FS page and hasn't been approved yet . But they are available for sale or trade. Nothing wrong with them, they are great just wanting to focus soley on one giant tank for the time being.

I recently posted on the FS page and hasn't been approved yet . But they are available for sale or trade. Nothing wrong with them, they are great just wanting to focus soley on one giant tank for the time being.

It won't be either, sale of wild caught animals is not allowed as per forum rules.
Your asking price gave me a good laugh though, I'll give you that much! I said they were a lucky find, not made from diamonds.

Well someone thought they were worth something, a bunch of people have offered and someone just purchased them they offered me $200, plus 8 Peninsula and eastern spotted newts. I didn't know they were valuable..

They are also not wild caught? There is a breeder in Tampa who breeds them. I recently saw a post on Facebook on a newt group who was selling them cheap since he has so many.

They are also not wild caught? There is a breeder in Tampa who breeds them. I recently saw a post on Facebook on a newt group who was selling them cheap since he has so many.

Look, they're your newts so you do as you please, but it won't be via the trade section on caudata.org.

Captive bred? That's a lie plain and simple, either from you, or from whoever you acquired them from, someone so accomplished at breeding Paramesotriton that they couldn't even tell you what they were?

Other than it being a shame for the newts It's really not an issue to me where they came from, but if it is to you just show me one shred of credible evidence to support this unlikely tale. If not, we'll leave it at that, ok?

Last edited:
Also did you say in your ad they were a breeding pair? Don't they have to be proven breeders before you advertise them as a breeding pair?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back