Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt injury

newtsmeen

Reaction score
Hi,
I have two smooth newts. Last week, my female newt, Amaanah, (I've had her for 4.5 years) somehow lost a patch of skin on the left side of her face, enough so that I could sort of see inside . There was still a layer of skin over it, so not exposed to the elements.

I do not know how she got the injury as I am extremely careful and there is not a single sharp thing in their tank.

Anyway, I took her to the exotic pet vet and he said to keep the wound clean with a very very very dilute iodine solution and said that it should hopefully heal itself. He also have me some baytril in case the wound becomes infected but thankfully it has not.

Since the visit to the vets, her behaviour has changed, she is usually ok with being handled for short periods but now she wriggles like crazy, makes writhing movements. If these lead to her being on her back or side, she just stays there for a while - normally she makes herself upright as quickly as she can.

I haven't seen her eating but can't say for sure that she hasn't.

At one point yesterday she has one of those writhing turns then became still, not moving at all. I thought she was gone :(

She is ok in terms of moving today. I have called the vet and they've said that if the wound is the same as it was when they last saw her, to continue with the same treatment.

If anybody has any idea about anything I can do to make her happier, please let me know.

This is Amaanah on a normal, happy, uninjured day:

view

This is when she first got the wound:

view

A few days later:

view

Last night:

view

She stayed like this for around 10 seconds :( :

view

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1