Newt larva curled tails

Lilibugz

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello I’m raising newt larva for the first time in a while and they’re not doing so great. I’ve lost a few over the week and the survivors all have curved tails. I noticed during a water change that some of them are swimming in a jerking motions, sort of circular or in an S shape. I’m not sure why they’re doing this and really don’t wanna lose anymore. The water perameters are fine, I’ve been using aged dechlorinated water. I was doing around 20% water changes daily and I’ve switched to 100% since I started having issues. I’m feeding live BBS separated from the eggs with a net and rinsed thoroughly. There’s Java moss and oak leaves in their set up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I linked a video of one swimming, a photo of one with the worst curve and one with the least curve.

Attachments

• IMG_8492.MOV
    1.9 MB
  • 07C3E129-56C1-4D50-83DC-A2803C4BEFDA.jpeg
    07C3E129-56C1-4D50-83DC-A2803C4BEFDA.jpeg
    464.4 KB · Views: 265
  • 9E22A854-ED7D-4E56-B651-18FFDEF8B839.jpeg
    9E22A854-ED7D-4E56-B651-18FFDEF8B839.jpeg
    292.9 KB · Views: 18
Apon further research I think they may have a bacterial infection. I added some melafix to each container. They’re so young I’m not sure this will help but I’m hoping for the best.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back