Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt or Salamander recomendations

horsyqueen

Reaction score
Currently I keep fish, mostly cichlids and a pleco also a future Channa Bleheri but I really want to have some newts or salamanders as I have never had them before other then the British native varieties. At the moment I have two spare glass aquariums one is 15L more tall but I don't think either of these are particurly arborial but also I own a 12L which is more retangular shaped. Will any of these do? If not I can buy some 'Really Useful Boxes'.
What species is recommended for beginners who want something interesting either behavior wise or colour? I would also prefer them not to spend most their time in water.
I really like fire salamanders but I am not sure whether all are legal. It would also be great if they ate small life inverts so either crickets or mealworms like the Channa I will get.

Thank you!

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Depends on what kind of setup you want, aquatic vs terrestrial, there are some cases of in-between but not many.
For an aquatic tank you would need at least 37 Liters of water in the tank, but a smaller enclosure could be used for terrestrial animals.

horsyqueen

Reaction score
I'd rather have terrestrial as it would be something new and different to fish.

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Well, there are several options for terrestrial tanks, Ambystoma sp. is good but is difficult to find CB animals, Salamandra would probably be nice too.
Here are the links so several caresheets if you want to take a look at those and decide:
Caudata Culture Caresheets

horsyqueen

Reaction score
I think I will get some fire salamanders and then get one of the 'Really Useful Bodes'. The substrate will probably be aquarium plant substrate with a top layer of some kinda substrate stuff flood it a little bit leaving a land area to replicate the rainy season. I got so many ideas :)

Stupot1610

Reaction score
Fire salamanders are great. But where they live (Europe) there isn't such a thing as a rainy season. They are really well suited to outdoor vivariums, so that's something to consider as well. Really useful boxes are perfect for keeping them in.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1