Newt pond recommendations

AxolotlJude

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey, I have property in Florida with a pond and am wondering if I could put a fully aquatic newt inside, will it work? ( if it will; species recommendations, tips on care, how to feed, ext)

Hi,
It can work ... or not, depending on a lot of things.

Even a fully aquatic newt can go out of the water from time to time (except for neotenic forms of course).
The newt species fully aquatic as adults have fully terrestial efts which can migrate between different ponds.
You'll probably have to build a barrier around the pond to avoid that, and enrich the surronding terrestrial environment with pieces of bark, compost... so that terrestrial youngsters will find food.

These recommandations are particularly critical in the case of a non native species (what is the legal contaxt ?).

An established pond usually harbors predator insects species like dragonfly larvae... and birds predators like herons.
A population of newts can compensate predation whith enough breeding pairs (several dozens) breeding each year.

If you have a limited number of newts to begin with, the risk of loosing them during the first year is high.

Is the pond enclosed so that it would be 100% escape proof? If not, then you definitely should not add newts or anything else.

You should also look into invasive species laws in your state as well. I am aware that Florida has some pretty hefty invasive species laws, especially considering their iguana problem (where, if I'm not mistaken, it is actually authorised to shoot wild iguanas on site, they've become such a nuisance).

Different states have different exotic species laws and these should always be checked before even considering a pet. For a while, you had to have a permit in my own state for certain species of animals which was waived in August 2021.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back