Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newts:aquatic??

A

amy

are newts considered aquatic, b/c me and my friend were playing 20 questions and she said is the animal aquatic, and i said yes, and when she lost, she said that they are not aquatic, but are amphibians, which i knew. urg, i just need help.

M

matt

if newts are anything like axolotls then yes newts are aquatic

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some newts are almostly completely aquatic, some newts are almost completely terrestrial, and most of them are somewhere in between.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Newts are actually ILLEGAL in Australia.

M

matt

Dang oh well I will just have to get satisfaction out of axys then

K

kaysie

that could probably be because of australia being an island, and introducing non-native species would ruin the ecosystem (think rabbit problem)

S

steve

Hey MATT come live in USA. BUT not Oregon from (what i hear) I heard you can't even have kids. LOL

Anyways, Like Jennewt was saying they are both. Take these excerpts from different sources:

"living chiefly on land but becoming aquatic during the breeding season."

"Any one of several species of small aquatic salamanders"

"small usually bright-colored semiaquatic salamanders of North America and Europe"

So, It seems it's who you ask. I say BOTH, so you WON! LOL}

A

aaron

There are actually populations of T. vulgaris living in the wild in Australia.

~Aaron

caleb

Reaction score
Hi Aaron,

Have you got any more details of these introduced T. vulgaris in Australia? I'd be intrigued to know more. I corresponded for a while with a guy in Australia who kept T. vulgaris. He said he had to reverse the seasons to keep them- they were in the fridge over the summer, and he brought them out to breed in the winter.

A

aaron

I'll have to talk to Phil some more about them. I'll post whatever I turn up.

~Aaron

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1