Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newts at Reptile Show?

illwill

Reaction score
I am interested in picking up some newts. I have never been to a reptile show before but I am wondering if there are any newts at a typical reptile show? Obviously they are not reptiles but I would think they are similar enough that there might be an odd newt or two available at one of these shows. Also I am specifically looking for FBN but I am also inquiring about newts in general. Anyone have any input? Thanks.

eriku

Reaction score
I am interested in picking up some newts. I have never been to a reptile show before but I am wondering if there are any newts at a typical reptile show? Obviously they are not reptiles but I would think they are similar enough that there might be an odd newt or two available at one of these shows. Also I am specifically looking for FBN but I am also inquiring about newts in general. Anyone have any input? Thanks.

How experienced are you and what area of the country are you in?

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some reptile shows sometimes have newts. Where do you live/which reptile shows are you going to? Maybe someone here that's been to that show can give you the low-down.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Between Michael Shrom, Black Jungle and the odd rogue newt at other vendors, I've seen newts at all of the White Plains shows I've been to.

mark55s1

Reaction score
You might what to check with your local Herp Club or association. Alot of times you are able to make connections with hobbyist that have healthy specimens. Alot of the reptile show vendors don't specialize in the temporary care and the health is affected.

duktig

Reaction score
Someone usually has Fire Salamanders, and last month someone had Sirens here in Atlanta. Never seen a newt of any kind...

John

illwill

Reaction score
I have no experience in newts. However I have done alot of research on them and on FBN's specifically. I have been browsing this site for quite some time and have read lots of websites that detail the care and ownership of these newts. I have a small tank for now and olny really wanted to start off with 1 newt. I live in Indianapolis and there will be a reptile show here next week at the Indiana State Fairgrounds.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1