Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newts fighting?

pygmyelephant

Reaction score
I recently got two spanish ribbed newts and haven't had a problem in the past week. But I decided to do a quick partial water change and feeding two days ago, which is where it began. They're young and small so I just put them in a medium sized bowl or so just to sit in for a few minutes while I changed the water and decided to throw some food in there so I didnt have to worry about it being in the tank. I assume they started getting aggressive in there because it was too small and they wanted their own food so after a couple snaps at each other I seperated them real fast. There were no visible marks that day or the day after, but now one is showing almost slashed looking lines on top and bottom of its head. Though they'd match up with what happened two days ago, I'm worried since they just showed up now the two could either still be fighting, though I havent noticed them doing so, or somethings wrong. They share a 10 gallon tank that at their current size gives them PLENTY of space to move around. Here are the best images I could get of the marks, hard to see very well on top but the bottom ones are a little easier to tell where they are.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416971303251.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416971303251.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 228
  • uploadfromtaptalk1416971354758.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416971354758.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 190

pygmyelephant

Reaction score
Heres a better picture of at least underneath

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416972006563.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416972006563.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 197

xxianxx

Reaction score
This species are not territorial and aggression is generally a feeding response, don't worry about keeping them together they are unlikely to do each other any damage.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!