Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newts Spending all Their Time on Land??

Nioa

Reaction score
My two firebelly newts haven't been in the water for weeks and the older male one used to spend most of his time in the water but has since joined the juvenile female on the turtle dock. I'm worried my that my water quality has declined or that he's ill, he's been eating fine up until today but I think it's because he had stuck shed on her tail (probably a result from being dry all the time)

Any ideas or advice?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have a read of the sticky thread about Chinese firebellies at the top of this section, most info you need is in that thread.
If your conditions are as described in that thread, temp, water quality good and loads of plants, and the newts aren't actually sick, it may be worth reducing the land area to encourage them back into the water.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your concern about the water quality needs to translate into action. Step one is to get your water tested, either by taking a sample to a pet shop that will test it for you, or by getting test kits. The minimum would be testing for pH, ammonia, and nitrate.

Has there been a significant change in temperature lately? What is the water temp?

Nioa

Reaction score
Well since summer has finally come it's about 80 in the house when the windows are open (I try to keep them closed and the air on but I'm not the only one in the house). And I did get a thermometer but it was one of the flat sticker ones. When I found out they didn't really work I didn't use it and planned to get another but it didn't end up happening. So I'm not sure what the water temp is but they have a screen tank and I keep my ceiling fan on.

I'll go get a water testing kit and a thermometer as soon as I can. Thank you guys for responding!

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
80F is way too high for H. orientalis, I wouldn't want to go any higher than the low 70s, and even then only for short periods. After the horrors of importation, I would guess those sorts of temperatures at pet stores or with new owners kill more Chinese firebellies than anything else. For them to have any chance of long term survival you need to get them much cooler, the stress brought on by the wrong environment often leads to the newts abandoning the water and refusing food. Stress can also suppress their immune systems allowing fungal and bacterial diseases etc to take hold with fatal results.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1