Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Next step for cycling

Phoenix2016

Reaction score
Hi! I am/will continue to review the online guides for cycling, but sometimes for me it is hard to translate the info into real life. So I’d like to know if I should do a partial water change at this point or not.

12 hours ago the parameters were as follows: (I do realize I should wait 12 hours more, and will do so, but hopefully I’ll already have an answer by then)
Ph- 7.2
Ammonia- 2
Nitrite- 1
Nitrate- 10

I added Fishless Fuel to bring ammonia back up to 4 (was that the right thing to do?)

Today, halfway through parameters are as follows:
Ph- 7.2
Ammonia- 4
Nitrite- 2
Nitrate- 20

I know not to add ammonia until it goes down again, but since the Nitrates went up do I do a water change?

Do I add anymore QuickStart?

What if the Ammonia doesn’t go back down- I do think I’m supposed to give that a few days, is that right?

Thank you for your help and patience. I have a bit of a learning disorder, and while I’m committed, I didn’t know cycling would be so complicated.

A friend did give me tank water she cleaned out, but not as much as I was hoping for. I was all excited to get her old filter, but she rinsed it with tap water so I threw it away. :(

I feel less rushed because I got Dart a bigger tub because he was thrashing around, and he seems much happier now, and I gave him an extra filter and change the water lots.

Thanks!!

wolfen

Reaction score
whilst the tank is cycling don't do a water change unless the nitrates get to 110ppm or higher. keep a eye on the ph if it goes below 7 add enough bicarbonate of soda to bring the ph up to 7.4 - 7.6.
just test daily and bringing the ammonia up to 4ppm, until the ammonia and nitrite are both zero when tested after a 24hr period.

Phoenix2016

Reaction score
whilst the tank is cycling don't do a water change unless the nitrates get to 110ppm or higher. keep a eye on the ph if it goes below 7 add enough bicarbonate of soda to bring the ph up to 7.4 - 7.6.
just test daily and bringing the ammonia up to 4ppm, until the ammonia and nitrite are both zero when tested after a 24hr period.
That is exactly the kind of direction I needed. Thank you!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1