Nitrite won’t go down. Has my cycle crashed?

annz

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi there,
I’ve had my axolotl for about a month now and I’m pretty certain my cycle is crushed.
Tank was cycled for 5 weeks before I got her and everything was fine until this week when I noticed we had nitrite present and ammonia was high.
I cleaned the tank thoroughly and proceeded with water changes. Over the last week I’ve definitely done an 100% water change in total but there’s no significant changes in the parameters apart from ammonia which has reduced from 1ppm to 0.25 ppm but nitrites have stayed the same.
Current parameters are
Ph: 7
Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
Nitrite: 2 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm
I have been adding prime with every water change and my axolotl still looks healthy but at this point I’m ready to tub her because I’m so stressed out about her.
this is my first aquatic pet so any help is greatest appreciated.

HI

How did you cycle your tank? This may help answer the questions.

Absolutely tub your axolotl ASAP - ammonia and nitrite are toxic at any level to an axolotl.

You may be fully recycling or just having a mini cycle - we will get you sorted out

Hi thanks for your response.
Yeah tank was cycled and axolotl was fine for about 4-5 weeks. I tubbed her last night and added some Indian almond leaf in the tub too but she doesn’t seem to have any skin irritations. She seems fine and she even ate today.
tested parameters this morning in the tank and we are looking at
PH 7.2
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 5?
Nitrate 10
GH 5
KH 3
Where do we go from here ?
D75D4A82-AE9F-41A6-B3F4-8A4C80178AF6.jpeg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back