Nitrites spike

Theaxolotlsocial

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I dont know whats happening but my axolotls tank spiked randomly in nitrites. I dont know why!

We have plants and 1 axie. Everything has been fine for months. He's in a smaller tank bc he's a baby so we've been doing 50% water changes daily bc I find the 10 gallon tank the ammonia gets high quickly . We did cycle the tank prior and everything was good. Not sure why the nitrites spiked suddenly. Water looks clear8

ammonia spikes will cause nitrite spikes, they are noticeable because they haven't been converted yet. If the ammonia is getting high quick (even after being cycled) then your filtration isn't large enough to cope with the bio load. also add some air stones (if you haven't already) as this can be beneficial to the bacteria.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back