No matter what i do i still have couldy water

T

tori-ann

ph level is 6.6
i got a stringray 15 fliter cost me $40 aussie money and there is a corner fliter aswell
ive taken out a 3rd 2 times this week cause the water has been so cloudy didnt want my babys living in that wtf is going on the water is still cloudy driving me insane

You just got this little guy recently right? You need to let the water cycle.

As long as ammonia, nitrites and nitrates remain at a decent level stop messing with the filters. The beneficial bacteria needs time to establish itself.

This water cycle can take up to a couple of weeks so have a bit of patience.

Good luck.

Sharon

the water does smell
i got 2 in my tank female and male
female has black on her toes now got told this is bad cause she albino means dirty tank
is it ok them living in this tank
im getting some ammolock tomorrow and ammonia tester kit
will the cloudly water clear in time?
im just freaking out love them heaps feel in not doing what is best for them

The black I believe is keratinization of the toes, signalling sexual maturity, not a dirty tank.

The water will clear after the biological filter is established.

Helpful articles on water quality and cycling a tank can be found at:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/waterquality.shtml
http://www.caudata.org/cc/faq/FAQwat.shtml

Relax. Axies are fairly hardy. But read these articles and familiarize yourself with water quality and the nitrogen cycle. I'm fairly sure that will clear up your water cloudiness.

Tori-Ann - one other important thing is to be sure not to leave any food in the tank. You either need to hand feed them, or else remove ALL uneaten food immediately after feeding. Uneaten food will cloud the water and make it smell bad.

Tori-Ann,

I have just moved house and am reestablishing my set-up. Result = cloudy water. it will clear but may take a few weeks. I spoke with aquarium shop and they indicated that it could take up to 12 weeksfor a biofilter to become properly established! But i think they were trying to sell me a tub of beneficial bacteria that you pop into filter bottle at intial set-up. Good idea, if a little pricey - 10 quid for 200l tank dose!

On food - I find that if any food makes water cloudy it is raw liver. I fed mine liver on first day and man did it exarcerbate the cloudiness. So the next day I did a partial water change with a tub of water I left standing over night.

Good luck

Ammonia isn't cloudy. It is toxic to the axos & to fish but its clear.

Mik, did you happen to save the foam or cartridges from your filters BEFORE you moved? If you kept those cool and wet all the bacteria that had been living there will still be there and give you the same jump start as the pet shop water.

LOL! Here in the US we call that water a scam. When I worked at the petstore we used to laugh about it. Its true "aged" water does help but its the same water that comes with each fish purchased - in most cases anyway. We've heard some claims otherwise.

Sharon

Yeah, I did I had a undergravel filter then. But I was told and saved about 500ml to impregnate new meshes with.

Yeah, I can see the scam but on close inspection of it, it contains some weird clear beads in it and the viscosity is higher than ordinary tank water. There's something there but obviously the water in an existing filter bottle or from under the gravel plate is just as good. But if you are stuck with a new tank set-up and only have time to let tap water stand it's worth considering.

Regards,

Mikki

i was over feeding aswell
happy.gif

hey

Just new here (you may have noticed!)

Just a few Q's
What type of substrait do you have? (gravle, pebbles ect.)
What do you feed?
Do you have any plants/wood/ornaments in your tank?
Hope i can help

Jessica

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back