Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

No Newts, no healthy plants?

joemomma1016

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have a 29 gallon aquatic setup. Bare bottom, with java fern, anubias nana, anacharis, and some salvinia and duckweed. I originally set this tank up a long time ago because I was hoping to get some adult newts, but it didn't pan out. I don't see much growth in my plants besides the anubias and java fern (it seems they just need to be wet to grow), but a lot of my plants are looking white. Even my duckweed is dying! I have been doing 25% weekly water changes and adding 3 frozen brine shrimp cubes for ammonia. I have full spec lighting LED and water temp is 69F by the way. What can I do to keep plants alive? Thanks.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm no expert on planted tanks, but given the fact that the Anubias and Java fern (both species that happily grow in low light levels) are the only things growing, I'd say your lighting is too dim. Anacharis, Duckweed and Salvinia are all species that need very high light levels to survive in an aquarium, so the lighting is where i'd start.

Blackbun

Reaction score
Greedy plants will out compete the slower growing ones. My guess is your anubis are taking up all the minerals. White leaf indicates lack of cholorophyl which indicates lack of magnesium. Different species of plants have different requirements. Some plants are successful on oligotrophic conditions whilst others would perish. Your water changes probably just prolong the eventual death of the slowe growing plants by supplying low levels of minerals etc. Is use some fertiliser, not the brine shrimp thing, specifically for aquarium plants. Some are embedded in clay and you insert it in the substrate next to the roots whilst others are in liquid form. Check out the fresh water aquarium websites, they are well up n this.

Rupert

Reaction score
I'd like to point out that anubias and java fern are all very slow-growing plants, so I believe lighting is the issue here. Java ferns and Anubias are often out-competed by other plants, and usually it isn't the other way around.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1