Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Northern CA Herping?

crevalle

Muted
Reaction score
Can anyone here recommend a good spot to do some salamander/newt herping in Placer County, CA? I live in the suburbs of Sacramento off of I-80 towards Roseville/Rocklin/Granite Bay. I'm fairly new to CA so would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks!

Sam

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The reason we have the locality data policy in place is because while YOU may be just looking to enjoy the local fauna in their natural habitat, many unscrupulous people patrol forums looking for locality data in order to plunder a site of all its inhabitants and sell them online to make money.

We also recommend that if someone asks you for locality data, you think hard about how trustworthy this person is before giving it to them. I have even opted not to take people I know personally to sites because I didn't know them well enough to know their intentions.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
It would be a good idea to check into the field herping forums. You have a much better chance of finding people in the same area who may be going out, know the local critters, and may be willing to go with you as well.

crevalle

Muted
Reaction score
Ok, sounds like a plan. I guess I do see the value of protecting herping spots from people with the wrong intentions. I guess it's like a great fishing spot :)

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess it's like a great fishing spot :)
Some people view it that way, usually guys who don't want other people to find things. However, that's not the reason why we have the policy. The simple fact is that most of the salamanders for sale on sites like Kingsnake were collected from wild populations because people were a bit too free with locations, either from person to person or by sharing them on forums like this.

I've been to places where you can literally find 30-40 quite rare salamanders in less than 30 minutes. Many are not protected and I shudder to think of any of those commercial collectors finding the locations.

jamminnewt

Reaction score
Ah, this is why my question wasn't posted. I forgot. Sorry everyone. I will just have to see what I can find myself and bring pictures back for you on the fieldherping account topic.

It is so sad that we have to be wary of people. I definitely understand and am so glad people with integrity and intelligence run this site. :)

Best of luck to everyone!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1