Northern California Herping

Aneides

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey! I'm going to Humboldt County for winter break. I would like to know what is out. I hope to find a Pacific Giant Salamander. Will Wandering or Clouded Salamanders be out ? :confused:

Anyways,
Good luck

Good luck! Post up some pics if you get a chance.

Pacific Giants and Wandering salamanders are dormant during the winter. Sometimes you can still find them, it has been unusually warm in Humboldt County the last month so they may be more active. Look under large rocks near fast moving, cold streams for the Pacific Giants. I'm not too sure about Clouded salamanders but i believe they are active in the winter. Good Luck!

The last time I went herping in Humboldt County was in October. Found a few Dicamptodon larva(decent sized), but I have yet to find any adults in the four or five times I have gone. I found a Wandering Salamander under a HUGE log, but fairly far from a water source so....

Humboldt is rich in biodiversity. If it has been warmer than usual up there then you will most likely find SOMETHING. Have fun.

Now I am craving a little trip up to the Pacific North Coast...good herping and great BEER. Visit the Lost Coast Brewery and have an Eight Ball Stout for me!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back