Question: Not eating

Deviatorz

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am a new owner to a couple of cute little firebelly newts. However, only one of them is eating and the other does not. In fact, the other one (a smaller one) always sits on the rocks outside of water. I don't think its an issue with the water because the other one seems fine. He barely leaves the water and every time i walk up to it, it would swim towards me hoping to feed it (looks happy). Temperature is usually at 21 degrees C (adjusted).

The tank setup I have is with rocks (about <1 cm in diameter), 10 gal tank. I have a couple large fist sized rocks with easy accessibility for it to climb onto (as you read before). i also have a clay pot that is used as a hiding place for them. i have live bamboo plants in the water for it to bring nutrients to the water. the water is not filtered, but does have a quite under gravel air pump. this was recommended to me by a specialized at my local put shop, with the same air pump with her newts. 1/4 of the water is replaced every week thats been de-chlorinated. at first both did not eat (adjusting) but the bigger one started to eat on its 4th day. while the other didnt. i feed it blood worms but it seems these are not exactly its staple. ill try to grab earthworms if it persists.

the other theory is that it may have eaten but just not in front of me. though only the other bigger one scavenges for food. we have very soft and clean water here so i doubt thats an issue. any suggestions would be great. maybe other plants that are not bamboo?

Going terrestrial can be a sign of stress for this species, most bought from pet shops are wild caught and prone to this behavor. If you check this forum you will see many posts like yours. If you can post some pics of both newts that would be useful.

While almost completely aquatic, my two CFN's still come up to the cork float to say hello when I come home but thats about it. Bloodworms are nutritionally deficient for a staple diet, go with the earthworms/nightcrawlers. And now the bad.

Those little newts got gassed. Then scooped by some fishermen in a net. Then put into a sack, then a bag, Styrofoam box, then a slow boat to America. Tossed into a pet store with a species needing an environment completely different then what is required... I wouldn't eat either.

As Ian already suggested, look through the forum. The help section has lots of threads dealing with the same issue. You need to offer the newts perfect conditions if they are to recover from their ordeal. They need well cycled, cool, non-moving water with lots of plants, like elodea. You can fill the tank with aquatic plants, they like that. The rocks you have in the tank don't sound great - newts feed on the floor so anything that food can get trapped under isn't suitable. To understand all the newts' requirements better, you should read everything here: Caudata Culture Articles

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back