Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Not sure what this is

SweeTeaGurl

Reaction score
Hi, I have 3 axolotls. I've had my first one for about a month to a month and a half. I got my second one about 2 weeks ago and my third about a week ago.
I've had no troubles until I did a tank redo about 3 days ago. I took out the sand because of the blackworms getting into the sand and Hestia (my first) couldn't get to them and the worms were gunking up the tank.
She had been very social and now she doesn't come out of her cave. Another symptom of there might be something wrong is the worms keep dying within a half of a day in the little tank I have set up for the two little guys (Erebos and Loki). They used to live until they were all gobbled up. It's only since the sand was taken out all of this has happened. The tanks are set up so they share the same water. The temp is 62 degrees. And the big tank is a 38 gallon filled about 2/3 of the way. I have 2 sponge filters set in it and another bubbler set up to pull the water to the little guys. I treated the water just like last time. The worms used to clump like normal but now they wriggle sporadically when introduced to the tank.
The little guys eat like normal and hestia does too. But she won't come out anymore. Is it possible she's ticked at me for changing out the sand?
However it does seem like Hestia isn't as chubby as she used to be. But she's not thin either.

Last edited:

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Something might be off with the water parameters. Did you look closely for hydra. Blackworms will wiggle a lot of they hit blackworms.

SweeTeaGurl

Reaction score
What are hydra? They look a bit more normal when I put some in this morning. They are wiggling, but not twitching violently like before.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1