Notophthalmus viridescens viridescens larvae just transformed

David339

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have one lil guy who has been out of the water for 2 days. His gills are gone, he is still green in color though. How soon can I put him in with my other red efts that were his size last year? I read he will go about a week without eating now? This is my first experience with the larvae and I got him to transformation.

How much smaller is he? WHat are the other ones eating?

The new one is about 1/8 inch wide by an inch long. My other 4 small ones were this size last fall, now they are about 3/8 to 1/4 inch wide by 1 1/2 to 2 inches long. I have others that are 3-4 inches long kept separately. Currently my new eft is kept in a small container on his own. They are eating spring tails and fruit flies.

The just transformed one is aprox. 1/8 inch wide by 1 inch long, the other I have are about twice this size. 1 1/2 to 2 inches long and 3/8 to 1/4 inch wide. The bigger ones are eating springtails and fruit flies. Currently I have the lil guy in a very small container 4 inch wide by 6 inch long and 3 inch tall.

I'm thinking if they're eating food so tiny they would'nt eat another tank mate that size...but then if they do I don't want to be the one who said it was OK!

I'm thinking if they're eating food so tiny they would'nt eat another tank mate that size...but then if they do I don't want to be the one who said it was OK!

I had the other red efts last year this size and they were with 3 inch long efts and they didn't eat the little guys. They're mouths are a lot smaller than you think based on the earthworms my 3 inch efts would eat/ not eat. I'm going to put him in with the other lil guys tonight.

They are definitely fine together. I didn't know if I had to wait before taking him out of that 1/16 inch of water I had him in. He was green not the normal orange/red color of an eft. He's starting to change color now though. My first run with the larvae.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back