Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

NY Press: The World's Most Explosive Tongue

W

wes

<u>LIVE SCIENCE </u>(New York, New York) 06 March 07 The World's Most Explosive Tongue (Ker Than)
The giant palm salamander of Central America shoots out its tongue with more instantaneous power than any known muscle in the animal kingdom, a new study finds.
The salamander, Bolitoglossa dofleini, can shoot out its tongue with 18,000 watts of power per kilogram of muscle. This is nearly double the power output of the previous champ, the Colorado River toad Bufo alvarius.
Bolitoglossa can extend its tongue more than half its body length in about 7 milliseconds, or about 50 times faster than an average eye blink.
Stephen Deban of the University of South Florida and his colleagues used high-speed video cameras and electrodes implanted in the salamanders’ tongue muscles to monitor the animals as they launched at live crickets.
The findings revealed the tongues were propelled outward much faster than could be achieved by muscle contraction alone.
The researchers think that still unidentified elastic tissue attached to the salamander’s tongue stores up energy in preparation for an explosive action.
Deban likens the process to stretching and shooting a rubber band: the recoil occurs faster than the act of releasing a rubber band pulled taut.
“The amount of energy doesn’t change; it’s just released faster,” Deban told <u>LiveScience</u>.
How the salamander achieves its record power output is still unclear. Tongue-launching systems in other animals require three components: a motor to generate energy, a spring to store the energy and a latch to control the timing of unloading of the spring. Scientists have so far identified only the motor in the salamander system.
“What remains to be discovered are the anatomical structures that make up the spring and the latch,” the researchers write in the Feb. 15 issue of the <u>Journal of Experimental Biology</u>.

http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/070306_salamander_tongue.html

paris

Reaction score
Re: NY Press: The World's Most Explosive Tongue

Although this has been posted for a while I wanted to add something. Another video is out there in colour and showing a whopping 29 seconds of palm salamander action. I am linking to the page it is on for only 1 reason -look at the photo of the salamander above the video but still in the article on these 'palm salamanders'. I guess all brownish salamanders look alike to J.Q. Public...probably wouldn't do anything if it was mentioned to them.

The 6 Most Badass Murder Weapons in the Animal Kingdom | Cracked.com

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1