"okinawa" Gold dust newt tank

Ben Krysa

Reaction score
Country
Canada
tumblr_mynrboYTo81s0h6lso1_1280.jpg

The tank looks fantastic. What is the substrate and what plant species did you use?

That's an great setup! Is that a 55 gallon tank?

Thanks for the feedback,

The substrate is seachem fluorite "dark". It's my first time using it and im a little apprehensive about it. it is a type of fracted clay and looks a little sharp. I have added some fine sand along the front for a feeding area so as to avoid accidental ingestions.

The plants are Hemianthus callitrichoides (cuba) foreground
Hygrophila polysperma "dwarf" forground /middle ground
Pogostemon helferi middleground
Rotala indica background
Bolbitis heudelotii background
and a few random stem cuttings

I really like the drip bar you made for your canister filter.

Awesome! Dark and green goes so well together and this is close to some habitats I¨v seen on pics from the wild.

That's gorgeous. When the plants start growing, you'll have some beautiful color contrasts!

I think you won't need to worry about the fluorite substrate and the newts. the substrate is very heavy... I've had mine in fluorite and also onyx with no trouble.

Looks amazing! Really natural rock and plant layout! How well has that umbrella plant been growing on the islands?

I also am keeping my popei in a 55gal paludarium, with nearly exactly the same water depth!

Attachments

• FTS resized.jpg
    FTS resized.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,330
Many thanks!

I grew the umbrella plant from cuttings off of a larger parent plant. Once they had established roots,I tucked the end into natural holes in the lace rock , and filled in the empty spots with substrate. then i tied them down with fishing line to give the roots time to grow onto the rock.
I also tucked in some pillow moss around the bases of the plants. Only time will tell how well they do in the long run.so far they are growing well and putting out lots of new leaves and roots.

That's a very nice tank joshBA.

Cheers

Dang people! How do you make such good tanks? Well, I guess you just take your time and stuff, but I cant be that patient :p I put my Cynops ensicauda popei tank together in about a day. A few hours more like. I guess its just about how much time you put into it. Great looking tanks!

I too am using about that amount of water, mine is for juveniles though, and when they are adults and its the breeding season I suppose I will raise it. But it seems to work well.

Here's a picture of my tank, not as good as either of you guys' but I also didn't take much time on it :lol: -Seth

Attachments

• P1160109.jpg
    P1160109.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 736
Ben, this is so beautiful. I really love the contrast of colors, and the arrangement of the island area, . . . . honestly everything.

Just wondering how this is going now? It's a lovely looking tank.

Stuart

Sorry for my derpness, but what species of caudate do you keep in there?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back