Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Oklahoma

mechanic380

Reaction score
I'm traveling to the Fort Sill area in Oklahoma and was thinking of doing a little hiking and herping. I might try and go to the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge. Is anyone familiar with the area or maybe could give me some tips on the wildlife park. I have looked at the species list for the area and there are not many caudates around but I would still like to visit.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Give nate a PM. Your chances of finding salamanders is zero though.

t_summ

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I went out to OK about 2 years ago during the summer and could only find frogs... and it was flooded in much of the state. I wish you the best of luck!

mechanic380

Reaction score
Well it is going to be about the same for me. There were flooding rains the two days before we arrived and the first cold front of the year in the 50's. One interesting note is we found an axolotl vendor in the local mall. They probably had 20-50 in small critter keepers. They seemed healthy although there were some obvious bite marks on some of their tails. Their water was clear and appeared clean.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
With temperatures like that you're not going to see any of the local toads. Maybe a few frogs though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!