Question: On housing two axolotls and transport

acorncap

New member
Joined
May 20, 2014
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Maine
Country
United States
Hello! Newbie here, both to keeping axolotls and the site. I don't have any yet, mostly because I wanted to do my research and make sure I'm as prepared as I can be. Problem is, I keep getting conflicting information from sites, so I was hoping I could get some straight answers here.

Short version: I'm trying to do research and I keep getting conflicting results, so

  1. Is the recommended minimum tank size for an axolotl 10G or 20G?
  2. What is the recommended tank size for two axolotl?
  3. Is it better to get two axolotl or one?
  4. Any tips for transporting an axolotl in a car?

Long version:
I read that the minimum for a single adult axolotl is a ten-gallon tank. However, when I was musing on my blog about tank sizes and setups, I was told that really the minimum is 20 gallons long.

Which is sort of related to another thing that's confused me, when researching keeping multiple axolotls, I've seen everything from only ever keep one, to always keep multiples because they're social, to only keep multiples when they're older because the younger ones are cannibals, to it doesn't matter any which way.

So I guess, my first question is, what is the recommended tank size for one adult axolotl, and what is the recommended size for two?

Secondly, I was planning to get my axolotl by going down to Massachusetts, since there are no axolotl breeders or dealers that we can find in Maine, plus my mother and I figure it might be safer overall to make a six-hour trip (three hours for the axie) and pick him up ourselves rather than worry about shipping and mail. I've transported fish across state lines before, but it wasn't an ideal situation (I basically put them in the largest waterbottle I could find, hid them under my coat to keep them warm and kept the bottle open on the bus. I was in college, college gave everyone feeder fish pets and I couldn't bring myself to just leave them unattended for a week while I was home so I improvised. They survived this multiple times but I'd really rather not have to resort to that again!).

So basically my second question is, does anyone have any suggestions on how to transport an axolotl in a car? I imagine a plastic baggie is not ideal, but would a little fish carrier work?
 
Okay so tank size, floor space is more important than height. You want 1 foot of floor space per axie, then an extra foot to allow for filters/plants/decorations ect. So for 1 axie you need a minimun of a 2 foot tank, length wise.
for two axies you need a 3 foot long tank :D
Axies can be housed together or individually, they dont mind either but most people cant stop at just one axie as theyre so darn cute!!

As for transporting an axie, you could put your axie in a large tub and put the tub in a cooler to keep the water from getting too hot on a 3 hour journey. (dont forget it needs to be a tub of clean dechlorinated water)
Its best to keep the axi in the dark so they feel more comfortable and dont add food as this will foul the water quickly.

Have you cycled your tank already? Its best to do this with no live animals in the tank (fishless cycling) but can take weeks to do, so if you havent already, id get that started! A liquid test kit is needed to test the water accuratly

Good luck!
 
I'd also fill up the container where you are going to move him in up to the brim and put a lid on it - this way the water won't slosh around and your axie will have a smooth ride :)
 
@Layna Ahh, okay, that makes sense! I haven't cycled the tank yet, since it's going to be at least a month or so until I get the little guy, and I wanted to be absolutely sure I had the right size home first. I do have another question, I've been eying a 30x12x12 tank at the store, though the stand I've been considering it on is only about 29" long. Do you think it'd be dangerous to have a half-inch hanging or is that too small to matter?

@Lianne All righty then! Large tub. lots of clean water and a lid. I'll make sure I have that ready, thank you!
 
Sent you a message . Im in MA and have 7 juvie axies that need homes if you are looking ! I have wilds and lucys


@Layna Ahh, okay, that makes sense! I haven't cycled the tank yet, since it's going to be at least a month or so until I get the little guy, and I wanted to be absolutely sure I had the right size home first. I do have another question, I've been eying a 30x12x12 tank at the store, though the stand I've been considering it on is only about 29" long. Do you think it'd be dangerous to have a half-inch hanging or is that too small to matter?

@Lianne All righty then! Large tub. lots of clean water and a lid. I'll make sure I have that ready, thank you!
 
@Layna Ahh, okay, that makes sense! I haven't cycled the tank yet, since it's going to be at least a month or so until I get the little guy, and I wanted to be absolutely sure I had the right size home first. I do have another question, I've been eying a 30x12x12 tank at the store, though the stand I've been considering it on is only about 29" long. Do you think it'd be dangerous to have a half-inch hanging or is that too small to matter?

@Lianne All righty then! Large tub. lots of clean water and a lid. I'll make sure I have that ready, thank you!


Im sure the tub needs air holes. Or a little air in the tub? Idk id double check though haha!

And yeah by weeks for the cycling i mean, mine took around 10-11 weeks to cycle, without an axie in! It can sometimes take a little longer if you do it with your axie in there as you cant let the ammonia or nitrite get above 0.5ppm.
Give this a read, i highly reccomend it to help you on your way :D
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

30" is only 2 and a half foot which means you should only really keep one axie in it, if you can, get a 36" long tank which is enough for two axies :p

I got my tank second hand off the likes of gumtree/ebay/preloved/facebook selling sites. I got two 3 foot tanks for the bargin of £10 each and i splashed out on a double tank stand that cost me £60. All in all i spent £80 on two tanks and a tank stand, but from pet stores ect people pay double that just for one tank alone!! I highly reccomend checking out 2nd hand tanks and just thourghly washing them when you get them!!
 
@Layna oh aye, I know 30" is too short for two by 6", I'm just saying that's the tank I'm currently considering. If I get it I'll only get the one axie I figure. I was just worried about stability with the stand I have set up, and wondering if I should re-arrange things and find a wider one if aquariums have to be fully supported.

I will definitely start looking around craigslist and ebay though, see if I can't find one for decent! And yeah, I was wondering about airholes, there was someone who pm'd me who told me they transported their axies in the styrofoam crates, so I might follow up on that a bit, since that should keep them nice and cool.

But oh, wow, I've read a bit on cycling, and I knew it took a while, but I was thinking like, 6 weeks, not nearly twice that! Better get crackin' then.
 
Im sure the tub needs air holes. Or a little air in the tub? Idk id double check though haha!

And yeah by weeks for the cycling i mean, mine took around 10-11 weeks to cycle, without an axie in! It can sometimes take a little longer if you do it with your axie in there as you cant let the ammonia or nitrite get above 0.5ppm.
Give this a read, i highly reccomend it to help you on your way :D
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

30" is only 2 and a half foot which means you should only really keep one axie in it, if you can, get a 36" long tank which is enough for two axies :p

I got my tank second hand off the likes of gumtree/ebay/preloved/facebook selling sites. I got two 3 foot tanks for the bargin of £10 each and i splashed out on a double tank stand that cost me £60. All in all i spent £80 on two tanks and a tank stand, but from pet stores ect people pay double that just for one tank alone!! I highly reccomend checking out 2nd hand tanks and just thourghly washing them when you get them!!

There is oxygen in the water, right? I don't know how long the car trip was but when I took my axolotls to my parents' place for a weekend I kept them in a tub filled to the brim for about 2 hours and they never appeared stressed nor did their gills look super red.
 
There is oxygen in the water, right? I don't know how long the car trip was but when I took my axolotls to my parents' place for a weekend I kept them in a tub filled to the brim for about 2 hours and they never appeared stressed nor did their gills look super red.

Yeah there is oxygen in the water but i just recall reading somewhere about air holes, its something someone else may be able to answer haha.
I think a cooler is the best bet, theyre deep so you can add water but dont have to fill it, and will keep the water cool for the axie. it also has a lid and a handle so its dark and easy to transport :happy:
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
    Back
    Top