Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

One has laid eggs! What do I do?

Vangee

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I got home from work today and noticed a bunch of eggs attached to several areas around my tank. I've read I'm supposed to remove them but I'm not sure if they're fertile yet. Do I remove them with my hands or can I use a baster? I've attached a photo. Hopefully someone can help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20161129_192817_edit.jpg
    IMG_20161129_192817_edit.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 191

stanleyc

Reaction score
Congrats! What species is this?

I've never removed eggs by themselves before, I always remove the plant, or cut off a part of the plant with the eggs. Your probably can't remove them with a baster because they should be firmly stuck to the plant, and removing by hand might damage the eggs. I'd put in a bunch of floating plants (elodea and java moss are great for this), so when they get filled with eggs, you can just remove those and replace.

Vangee

Reaction score
Thanks. I have axolotls. I thought this website was just for them. My mistake!

I've read here that removing them with your hands is quite common and that the eggs themselves are pretty tough. Is that incorrect? Do they look like they've been inseminated? This is my first time and unfortunately may be my last as I'm moving to central america and probably won't be able to bring them with me, though I am trying.

stanleyc

Reaction score
Maybe you can remove them by hand, I just haven't done it before, I'd wait for someone who's done it to advise. To tell if they're fertile or not, just wait a bit. If they are, you should start seeing changes in that yolk-like structure of the earliest laid eggs in a few days, a week tops. This is at least going on my experience with other caudata species, I'm assuming axolotls should be similar.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1