Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

One of my alpines isnt eating much.

Aesyir

Reaction score
Hello I have 2 alpine newts the male has been eating well but the female one eats once in awhile and today i tired to feed her and she ate the earthworm then spit it back up a minute later do you think its because they are red wigglers (they release a smelly substance when i cut them)? She shows intrest in them when i put them in she puts her head on them but most of the time backs off. I tried frozen bloodworms but only the male eats them. She has eaten only 2 times in the past 9 days. I know she isn't constipated because she took a huge poop recently and my tank is bare bottom and has nothing in it she could have ingested. Im very worried any help is appreciated.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I were you I would try to find some nightcrawlers or live blackworms, red wrigglers aren't palatable to many species, she's probably spitting them out because of the taste.

Aesyir

Reaction score
I will have to try get some nightcrawlers, I really hate to do this but im gonna have to wait since all the stores in my area are out of them at the moment. How long can a newt last without eating? I think temperature plays a part in this right my tank is kept at 16c. I also cannot find a place that has blackworms here in florida :(. I could go in my backyard and get some worms but I would rather not, I cannot tell the difference between earthworm species and im not in the mood to give them some wild pathogen..

Methos5K

Reaction score
It's odd that nowhere around you sells blackworms. Are you calling local mom-and-pop tropical fish stores? Big box stores will never sell them; but every LFS in my area does. Otherwise I would agree that minced nightcrawlers are the best bet. Walmart. Sporting goods section. Some of them even carry the baby crawlers.

Aesyir

Reaction score
I have not asked my mom and pop stores, I just emailed them now. If they do carry them is it easy to start a culture of them? I wouldnt mind setting up like a little 1 gallon to house some

Methos5K

Reaction score
Blackworms reproduce way too slowly for them to culture. Best to keep them in a tupperware container in the fridge and rinse them daily. They can last for weeks if cared for. Better yet, go to https://aquaticfoods.com/BlackwormKeepersM.html and order the blackworm keeper.

I use a feeding dish at the bottom of the tank; and a turkey baster to place the worms in it.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
If their is a local kilifish keepers club try connecting with them. Killifish keepers use lots of blackworms.

Aesyir

Reaction score
Good news! I was heading out today to go look for some nightcrawlers out of my area and it was feeding time so i was like screw it and tried once more to feed the worms i have and she ate :D. I'm still going out to get the nightcrawlers just nice to see she has appetite! I also saw something interesting, my male was showing mating behavior at least I think. he was fanning the end of his tail towards the female and i find this odd because they are less then a year old.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!